Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Pick your partners well

saugeyemarc

• View Profile
     Sometimes talking Ice fishing can lead to some eye opening experiences being shared by other anglers.  I was in Northern Ohio at a truck stop eating dinner when another driver asked if minded some company as open tables were hard to come by.  I always like company during dinner if nothing more than to take my mind off the open road.  Said he saw my ICEARMOUR hat and knew another ice man was in the house.  So we talked lures, electronics, bait but somehow got talking about bad ice.  He was from Minnesota and he talked about laying ladders down to get from shore to ice over a foot thick.  But what got to me was when he talked about taking a so called friend with him one day.  He said the guy was "iffy" to start with.  Said he wanted to go then would back out and finally he went.  It was early and the ice was decent but not thick in areas.  Using a rope he led this guy out and the ice gave way and he went through.  His "buddy" dropped the rope and was gone as quick as he could run to his car and gone.   I know as the story got going my eyes were getting big and round.  Anyway he tells it was an acre pond and he knew he was only in 3 feet of water 20 feet from the bank.  Using picks he got back up and made it to his own car.  When he called his so called buddy to find out why he deserted him the only answer was "I can't swim"
   It got me thinking.  Do I trust everyone I take ice fishing with me.?  Are these guys who can keep their cool under pressure?  Will they panic if they fall in or I do?  Am I willing to put my life in their hands?  In my younger dumber unmarried, no kids/grandkids days it never mattered but now.  I guess we all know this is a great sport but there is danger involved even if a minor chance.  You want to know the people you share this sport with have got your back on the ice.  If there is a foot of good ice no problem anyone who wants to join me is welcome but I think in the future when it's 4" or less I'm going to be more selective of my fishing partners. 
specialty is walleye saugeye and sauger with a sprinkling of crappies and perch.
Sponsors: Icefishohio.com,  Reef Runner Lures, Macks Lure, VIBE

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Good pause for thought. Thanks for that post.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 >:(. There wouldn't have been much of a conversation ,except with the arresting officer!

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
my last trip out, 3.5 inches of ice, some snow cover. used my spud bar, had my picks around my neck, got set up, fish were bitin', life was good. here comes a guy with 2 little boys, maybe 5 and 8, wandering all over the ice, no rope picks----- no safety gear whatever. i'll fish on 4", i'll take my kids on 6", my kids kids, i want 8. i just hope his kids don't have any ponds around where they can wander on to by themselves.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
wow i had an experience close to the frustration of that... :P my best friend and i went hunting in chocton for grouse he drove and we met my other friend at his cabin. after lunch we wandered back into the woods and soon seperated, after a couple rabbits and grouse i started back , the day was great and now the snow was falling very heavy,,...darkness was around me when i reached the cabin and there wasnt any cars .... :o no one around  ???  well now  what . here i stand in the middle of bfe , dark , snowing, tired, shotgun over my shoulder, and 75 miles from home...walked all the way to rt 77 about 4 mi. tried to thumb home a ride but would you pick up a camo gun bearing stranger? broke my gun down put it in my back pack and finally got a ride, walked another few miles when dropped along side the road. now the sun is coming up and i walk in my house wondering what happened...went to my buddys house to see if something happened. well he went for cigs and got lost and left me..i turned and left before my murderous thoughts caught up with me.... ::) the end.......
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
This guy was your best friend,with a friend like who needs enemies,might wanna weed the garden ;D
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Wow!!  That's just wrong!  I think he owes you at least 2 G Loomis bass rods with Steez reels for that one!! ;D ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

floater99

• View Profile
I had a ''PAL'' went to my trailer for a overnite ice trip,wish he would of invited me to go with him to my place. ??? ???

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
i hear ya :-\
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Yeah I have been out many a times this year and the kids want to go but I just don't trust it even if they have life vests on.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Oh yeah! How are those life jackets???
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Nice and dry you want me to drop them off at your brothers tomorrow when I pick up the Atv?
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Northeast Panfish League

• Year-round Competition Panfishin!
    • View Profile
    • Northeast Panfish League

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My Motto:  The Fattest guy goes out on the ice first.   The light-weights will follow!
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Is that why CRV makes me go first?
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs