Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Soft Plastics Are Great

Banker · 6 · 7187

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
The bass guys figured em out a while ago, but these gems are just starting to make it into the tackle box of trusted anglers in the midwest who like to walk on their water.

I fish with imitation maggots from Gulp, Awesome looking and smelling (haven't tasted them yet :) ) KBL Lures Ice Stingers http://www.khangbrolures.com/plastics/ and Little Atom nuggies http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/mainplastics.html

They work as well as you fish them..which most times is impacted by your confidence in giving them the all American try versus quickly switching back to live bait when they don't produce in the first 5 minutes of trying them (guilty as charged :)
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I am very confident using plastics thru the ice. I have been using them thru the ice for a few years now and fish plastics 75- 80% of my time out fishing for panfish. My go to is the wedgee from custom jigs in glow,black and white. I also use the gulp alive baits as well. I do very well with the gulp fish fry in luma glow, orange and chartruse. As for the gulp maggots I feel that they are junk. I have done better with a bare hook then the gulp maggots. I have fished them in every way possible and the fish will not bite them except for some freak instances. I can tip a swedish pimple or a jig with the gulp maggots and the fish will swim away. As soon as I put a gulp minnowhead or even just a plain spoon they will attack it. Its not just the jar I have. I have every color they make and the fish just dont like them. I have had no problem catching fish with any other plastic that I have fished just no luck with the gulp maggots. Maybe its just the lakes I fish or the days I used them. I would though highly recommend that everyone go out and get some different plastics and fish them. I have had a lot of days when they wouldn't take live bait but could get them to hit artificial. I also recommend picking up some smelly jelly to rescent your baits for when they are shy biting. It helps out a lot when they have a little smell to go with the presentation. And remember if you dont succeed at first keep trying. It took me quite some time to be comfortable with them. You have to learn how each bait fishes and how to present them. They will only make you a better fisherman in the end.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I couldn't agree with HWJ more.  Pick 2 or 3 plastics and just fish with them for a day, even open water panfishing. You will get familiar with then and how fish react to them. Invaluable for time on the ice. As for the smelly jelly, my dad uses that stuff and I made fun of him for it. After I saw how many fish he was catching now I'm a firm believer and have 3 jars of it.  ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Now I used those gulp maggots and a kid caught a nine pound bass last summer and fish were on them like crazy.  Tried some last weekend through the ice and absolute nothing.  It was a different lake and different time of year hmmmm?
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 :) I got so sage advice from ratherbefishing on plastics at the IFO weekend at the Fin Feather and Fur last fall . His presentation onpanfish was VERY informative , My hat is off to him for shareing his expertise. Hes a great guy .

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yep i love plastics  ;D my favorite ice one is a shrimpo in green and glow head  ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar