Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Spring Panfish Under a Bobber

Banker · 4 · 4622

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I am hoping to get some answers on how to target spring panfish using the classic bobber setup. Calling all pros... ???
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I use bobbers from Gapens.  They are super sensitive and I have several different sizes.  I like as small a bobber as I can when panfishing, and will match my bobber to the size jig I'm using.  If a crappie farts on my lure, I want that bobber to go down.  I will also use pinch-on weights just below the bobber to achieve the desired bouyancy of the bobber.  I don't use slip bobbers hardly at all, too many problems with the bobber tangling or the stop moving.  I'll use longer rods if i'm fishing deep.  My crappie rods vary in length from 4 1/2 feet to 20 feet long.  All this type of fishing with the super-long rods is done from a boat.  However the bobber weighting principle applies to shore fishing as well.  That way you can fish whatever jig you want and still feel the light biters on your bobber.  And another reason I use the stick bobbers is crappies feed above themselves, and sometimes they will push your bait up.  When this happens, a properly weighted stick bobber will lay flat on the surface, and now you know there's a crappie on it!! ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

deerslayern

• View Profile
MY setup for spring gills is a lite action rod from the bank, spooled with 4lb trilene max. never had any problems yet( hope i dont jinks myself) a split shot just heavy enough to submerge 3/4 of the smallest slip bobber, and pin head ice jigs tipped w/maggots.
      I target early weedbeds in shallow water between 6 fow and 10 fow. usually a great plan to start with. If theres any kind of wind I move to a smaller split shot.
      Most of the time I find it easier to catch gills in open water with ice rods all year long off a boat.
When in doubt test it out.  No ice is safe ice. becareful out there.

Norm Hunitngton Jr

Pro staff
Clam
HT enterprises
frabill
Humminbird

Guide for
New London
Willard
Pleasant Hill

buddachiefer

I love fly fishing for them, nothing like catching fish on something you made yourself.

Vexilar