Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Lowrance Elite 4 chirp

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Okay, this is my 2nd full year trying to learn this machine, problem 1 is, I take my Vex and always put the lowrance back and never give it a chance, The help I need is how to set it up for ice fishing and ice fishing only , from the basic all the way to the max , any help would be greatly appreciated

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I feel your pain.  I got a Garmin ice 5 unit and so far used it only in my Jon boat. On the ice today I only had my Vex.  I need to force myself one time on a lake I know well to leave the Vex at home to learn the sonar. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
that says allot about the vex, it's hard to leave home without it , last year I took my son in law out on his 1st time ever walking on ice , let alone ice fishing, I used the vex and had him use the lowrance ;D , I should have went the other way , but we managed a few eyes before he got too cold and we both had a blast. I was hoping they (daughter and son in law ) would visit again this year from Virginia but it's not gonna happen

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Sure does!  Vex is a great unit. I even use mine soft water fishing for crappie.  Too bad the family isn't visiting, great excuse to hit the ice!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Wapak, why don't you meet me out on the ice sometime and I'll help you get it going. I mainly fish indian and I know you're there sometimes. I usually fish just the weekends. Pm me if you are gonna be out and I'll let you know if I'm gonna be there. It's a little tricky to use but not a bad machine. Just way different than a vex

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I'll do that,  I know it will be after Christmas before I can hit Indian Lake, I work in St. Mary's so I normally hit grand lake or Loramie during the week. But that will work

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I know all you guys are vex  vetrans but I have never had one   so all my time is with sonars on the ice. and believe me my garmin is fantastic on the ice. now it has flasher mode, real time mode, ect... nothin special use it on my boat also   , love watching fish chase my bait  and then  BAM  fish on...take it off the boat stick it in a wood box with a batt hook the transducer on a plastic pipe and across the ice we go...
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I use the elite 4 hdi model.  I don't know how much different it is to the chirp, but it was pretty easy to set up for ice.  I just hooked up the ice ducer and set the fishing mode to ice, then adjusted the sensitivity as needed.  I also run it split screen with a flasher mode and graph mode together.

Vexilar