Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Vibe blade baits

Songdog316

• View Profile
Just wondering what size treble hooks to put back on my vibe's..?
I have: 3/4 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, 1/8 oz, 3/16 oz lol
Also, should I put split rings on this time...?

Thanks for any input!!!

Tight lines to all..!!!

<*(((((><

toadfish

• View Profile
Hey Songdog, I usually go with the same size hook as the bait originally came with or go up one size.  If you go too big, it will ruin the vibrating action.

Going with split rings versus the slip-on trebles can help and hurt.  It will cause more tangles but can help prevent fish coming unbuttoned at the hole.

Do yourself a faver and if you are buying replacement trebles, go with red hooks.  I think they help catch more fish.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I agree. The red treble hooks are the way to go. I've noticed increased catches using them for largemouth bass.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Songdog316

• View Profile
Do you guys know what size actually came on the lures..? I threw them away and I'm not sure if they were #4's on the 3/4 oz & 1/2 oz lures... I know I know dumb move on my part... Lol

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I agree with the comments above, I am a big user of blade baits and have replaced hooks with or without split rings, using the rings definitely causes them to tangle more to the point it becomes frustrating!  I replaced them using red treble with much success
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
 ??? Did you say MUCH SUCCESS ? If I recall you broke those hooks on the whiskered ;D walleye .

toadfish

• View Profile
Hey Songdog,  I measured my vibees and I think the 1 1/2" are 3/16 oz and they have #8 trebels.

The 1 15/16" or 2" I think are 1/4 oz have #6 trebels.  I don't have any that are bigger or smaller.

I do have a Sonar blade that might be 1/2 or 3/4 oz.  I think it has #4 trebels.

I hope you learned a lesson on lure modification - never toss until you have the replacements!
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Songdog316

• View Profile

Vexilar