Ice Fish Ohio Forum

OLD METHOD/FOR NEW ICE FISHERMEN

Golden1

• View Profile
I have fished four diff places lately and I always start near the bottom within maybe 6 inches... but on every lake or pond the fish have all been within 4 feet of the ice... seems like maybe the oxygen levels there must be the key... hope this may help....
You can " NEVER " know too much about fishing !

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Plain, gold/short-shank # 12 hook was the hot ticket for me last Thursday.  Caught more on it than my lower, pin-min.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

ice phisher

• View Profile
Turkey09.....glad that you added another trick to your arsenal.......We all know just how we would like the fish to bite.......and that is the case sometimes, but each and every trip can and does find the fish doing what they want on that given day......our job is to keep changing until you hit a home run.......and ring their dinner bell. Even then.... there are days that due to certain factors......fish will not bite and are totally shut down......but then that's why it can be noted as "FISHIN....NOT CATCHIN" that keeps us coming back for more.......Good fishin and fish safely guy's................
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
I rigged the boys poles for the weekend with the Michigan Rig used it Sat and caught some Perch HOWEVER after reading the Wisconsin regs it states you are allowed only one bait per line so my interpretation is it is illegal here. I did keep one rigged to show fish and game to try to get an official ruling. Dave

ice phisher

• View Profile
davek...Thanks for your post. And even tho this site says ICE FISH OHIO...one must also reflect that is it on an info. highway, that can be viewed anywhere......What you pointed out about regulations should always lead one to take any application they encounter and check it to the fullest.... to see if the area they live.... differs from what was posted or read....Here in Ohio we are allowed 6 tip-ups and 2 rods per person. Also listed in the regs....under FISHING LINES......it conveys that "anglers may not use more than 2 fishing lines, whether fastened to a pole, a rod and reel,or hand held. Anglers may use up to 3 hooks on each line. I'm glad you took the initiative to check your regulations( as do I) when I come across points of intrest..... Who know's?.....You tried the Michigan Rig.....and what if their (Michigan's) laws have been changed and this could have become illegal..... but people haven't checked and are doing (fishing) that way... just because that's always the way it's always been done.....Guess as it's always stated 'IGNORANCE OF THE LAW, IS NO EXCUSE"....THANKS AGAIN.....for your info.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:38:23 PM by ice phisher »
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

ice phisher

• View Profile
Golden1.....Kinda lookin for you to post that ya got back out and you guys caught the heck out of them again........If you do... give us a hollar ........
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

Golden1

• View Profile
I have been a little tied up, but as soon as we see what this storm does I will be after them again. I plan on hitting the marinas and see if I can manage to get into some steelhead also. I am pretty sure that this old method and old guy, lol, can get a few using this system. Besides that I just ate the last batch of gills so I need to restock..... ;D
You can " NEVER " know too much about fishing !

Vexilar