Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ice/ fishing report

Commonsence

• View Profile
 ;)wanted to give all an update of ice cod. And bite! Was out sat., Sun, and today. Saturday crack just out of Catawba was open about 1-2 feet. Ice was soft and about 6". No ATVs crossed, snowmobiles shot across ok. So we decided to go out of camp perry! Ice was good, but there is a pressure ridge/ shove about 1.5 miles straight out, 20-21'depth. It was closed tight and guys where crossing it ok! About 30-40 shanteys ,wind was stronge from west so we did,nt cross, fished 100 yards from crake. Bite was slow til around 1, then picked up! 2 limits of nice eyes, mixed lbs. 2-10. Sat.- sun.    Monday bite was at day lite, limited buy 10 am. Wind was 25-30 west! Ice 14-17 ".  No snow,on ice, just crunchy on top! Talked to several guys, some did better, but spotty! Some out of crane creek, 6-7 miles out bite good to fair! Even talked to a group a going out to west sister,8 miles out! Said bite was fantastic, limited in about 1- 1 1/2 hours, BIG fish 10s and couple12s  . Spoons, do jiggers. Also report was crake closed up at Catawba Sunday, but wind was really pushing today, so not sure about that!!! OPEN WATER from mouse to Marblehead!!!!!!! But ice cutter tue. May ruin all of this!!!!!  BE SAFE!  And Go home to love ones!!! Those damn walleye make a guy do crazy shit !!!!hope this helps !! 

fool4fish

• View Profile
Hey commonser was wondering if walking out on foot of catawba would be possible sat its my only day to fish im trying to buddy up and ride share with someone who has a power auger coming from columbus my car gets easy 20-22 mpg and would really love to get the chance anyone up there wanna meet up or from down here wanna ride up  please pm me will check weather  but want to plan asap pm me or email me thanx for such a detailed report bud
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Yes you could walk out of catawba on Saturday. Just go more SW when you walk out to get across the crack
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

fool4fish

• View Profile
Your advice is greatly appreciated ohio fisher
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

Popeye

• View Profile
Might want to try walking out of metzgers marsh about 2.4 miles

Commonsence

• View Profile
walking is ALWAYS best,and be with someone, use a spud bar!!!!! do stay sw!! there is alot of current east of cattawba point,known as suicide alley, and there is open water east !!! common sence is always best!!!! good luck!

Icetester

• View Profile
Trying again in the morning, (fri). At first was going to head out of CSP, but 3 times now I've come back empty, maybe the 4th try will work, but I'm thinking I'd like to try elsewhere. It's funny, I read reports of guys catching a limit in 40 minutes with no bait, and getting there late. I read 70 fish days between a group. I just have to chuckle, I walked over 15 miles (3 days) without a fish and left the house at 4am and arrived back after 8 pm. Then I read a guy goes out 3 weekends in a row and limits walking out 1.5. This is my final shot at this Erie walleye ice hunt, I will end on this note, I am going to put a hurting on those eyes one day on soft water since I can't get it done on the hard stuff. Too much work without a quad or snowmobile, but fun........gl in these last couple weeks.

kneedeep

• View Profile
I went out yesterday Wed and got 4 and lost another 4 at the hole.  I moved twice and someone said its like turning on a switch. 20-22' NNW out Catawba State Park out in the open away from other shanty's and airboats.  Blue/Chrome #7 Jiggn raps aggressive with long pauses.  I tried other colors buckshot,swedish pimps other color jig raps but bluchrome did the damage.  all fish were 5-9lbs and next time I WILL USE A STINGER,,,,Goodluck and I wish guys wouldn't be so stingy with the reports its only fishing not your ole lady,,,
P.S. the crack ate a 4-wheeler yesterday so take your time crossing and check before you cross.  Have fun go get um and most important be safe there was a big wind out there and current was strong too

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I can't believe your not getting on them ice tester. Fishing has been great. Keep moving and if I were you head more west than north. I think I was in 22ft the other day. I think the further you walk the better. This weekend looks good. The weather these next couple days doesn't look too hot wind wise. It is crankin today.
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Icetester

• View Profile
I'm not getting off the ice tomorrow until one comes through that hole. But, thanks for the 2 above posts. Don't need a quad today, just an ice sail. ;D  the next two days look good, wind supposed to die off later tonight.

Eyewall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • epicicefishing.com
I will be out sat and sunday if ya would like to tag along. Id love to help ya get some eyes on the ice.
EPIC ICE FISHING ADVENTURES-
ICEFISHOHIO.COM -
VEXILAR - PK LURES
ICEJUNKIESOUTDOORS.COM - ACE CUSTOM RODS
VULTURE SYSTEMS- VICIOUS FISHING
STRICKER ICE - AQUA VU- NEBULOUS FLOTATION
PRO CURE SCENTS- GRIM OUTDOORS

fishmaniac

• View Profile
Got skunked we'd  out CSP..walked 2 miles now out CSP....moved 5 time's. ..then wind cranked up 2pm to 30mph...got outta there....anybody wanna join up sat am to walk n try to find them?  Anybody know of ride service quad or airboat to get out sat? A ride...I'd pay...would be nice....anybody help....I drive from CSP....always lookin to make icefishing buddies...my 8 inch lazer cut good through 20 inches of ice. ..was good workout!

fishmaniac

• View Profile
Hey eye wall.  Can I walk out west of csp?...haven't been out since wed...wanted to walk out 2 miles or so sat am...will I be ok? Hot Spud bar....

E- man

• View Profile
you're probably already out but anyway talked to guys that fished CSP crossed ok on foot. Quads was another story. Fishing not that good from what I was told. If you can try Camp Perry or Crane. I believe you'll have a better chance there from reports I've got. Don' have to walk to far at camp perry. Good luck

Vexilar