Ice Fish Ohio Forum

UTV on the ice

fishincontrol

• View Profile
Does anyone take their UTV (side by side) on the ice?
I sold our Honda 350 4X4 to get a can am commander.
The commander weighs almost 1300 lbs.
The information I have seen says 6" for ATV or sled and 8" for passenger car.
I was just wondering if there is much of a chance of taking this on the ice in Ohio.

fishincontrol

• View Profile
Not sure if it matters but the wheelbase is 75", almost double than that of the average 4X4 ATV, and the track (width) is 12" wider.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:12:15 AM by fishincontrol »

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
6-8" would probably hold you up, but make sure where you're going, lot of $ to lose if you hit a thin spot.  Also many lakes in Ohio don't allow any motorized vehicles on the ice. That's why I've been putting off a snowmobile purchase. But they do make for easy travel and relocating.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:16:49 PM by slabslayer »
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

fishingful

• View Profile
I have seen them on Erie. Personally, I couldn't justify taking one on the ice. From what I have heard once it goes out on the ice the insurance wont cover it. Too much money to take a chance with for me. I have seen the RZR Razors out there 12k.

I am investing in a quad for next year. I have been holding off as well. But every year I have wanted one this time of year. Time to sell the motorcycle that I rode 100 miles all of last year.

Vexilar