Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ICE SAFETY

davek · 2 · 1996

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
It is with a heavy heart i write this, the loss of those three children it is hard to bear even though i knew none of them, please everyone take your time and be safe, today one of my fishing buddies fell through the ice and although he was fine it drove home the fact NO ICE IS SAFE!! Here in wisconsin we have been fishing 25 to 40 foot of water with 16 inches of ice, while looking for a new spot we went to an area that was 4 to 7 feet deep and got a little careless the first holes showed 6 inches of ice as we spread out my buddy hit an area that was snow covered and less than an inch with 6 to 8 inches all around it. Please everyone take the time drill that extra hole, use your spud bars, and never go out alone, we dodged a bullet today and i pray everyone takes something from this. teach a kid to fish and how to be SAFE.  Dave

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the post, I think it's easy for peolpe to feel a false sense of security when they're on the ice, especially when you have already been fishing the area for a while. I'm glad your buddy is okay, and I'm sure you guys will be the most careful guys on the lake for quite a while.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake