Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Went out to hunt for Golden Rod Grubs

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I went out today and found some Golden Rod grubs for bait. I have posted a video under Hat Cam Videos.

Check it out.

David Hoheisel
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Hat Cam
Jason mitchell Rods
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

joshua

• View Profile
Thanks for the idea i have never done that. Went out today and out of 20 balls i found 9 looks like good bait to me. i like free bait. going to find more tomorrow

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
It is fun to look for them and the blue gills love them. You only need to use one on the jig. they are small but the must put off a powerfull scent. I saw something on TV that showed them in acorns and the larva was bigger. It was actually a food show and they ate them. I think i will stick to bait.

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Clam
Vexilar
Jason Mitchell Rods
Hat Cam

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

joshua

• View Profile
is it beter to leave them in the golden rod till you are ready to use them or pull them out and keep them like wax worms?

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
They are terriffic bait for bluegills and crappie.  I've been lazy this year and not gone after them, however when I do my catch rates improve.  I collect a bunch and leave them in the balls until that morning or the night before I go.  Keeps 'em fresher.  I'll collect several hundred and put them in a 5 gallon bucket.  Well worth the effort in finding them.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

riverrunt

• View Profile
never used them before but im going to add them to my arsenal.Thanks for the tip

joshua

• View Profile
i think they work because fish don't get to see them that much it improved my catch rate i also started to leave them in the balls till i get ready to go

Vexilar