Ice Fish Ohio Forum

need help

catfishdude84

• View Profile
ok so im new to the world of ice fishing and i would like to get some professional oppinions on what gear i need to get. i dont have a lot of money to spend, but im willing to spend a little more than i normally would. need help with the hole shibang, baits and lures, what auger to get, and just everything lol. thanks for any help provided.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
u can pick up an auger at gander mtn. for around 50, they should have a couple of combos there, if not check ur local bait stores, they should be around 30 a comdo, i would go with a medium action its an all around action, string it with 4lb test. for eyes i would pick up a few small vibes silver/blue, orange/gold, and fire tiger seem to be the best, for panfish pick up a hand ful of teardrop jigs in diffrent colors, and if u can afford it get a vex, i dont go without mine.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I agree, if you are targeting panfish, though, go with a 1 or 2 pound line.  Look at diameter, it is critical to get a small diameter line.  Try some gill pills or genz worms for the pans or crappies.  If you have the $ a good flasher is essential.  Love my Vexilar, but a friend has a Mar-cum and he loves his, they are a little less expensive than a Vex, but are still a quality product.  If you can upgrade to the zoom feature, they are worth the money, if you can afford it.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Since you're new to the whole thing you need to be sure that you're taking all the necessary precautions...

Spud Bar-
For checking ice.. I believe we have info posted all over the place on how to use them properly. You can get one at Lowe's for around $30-$35. some places may have them cheaper.

Spikes-
If you ever go through you'll need to be able to get yourself back out. You can get a pair in most bait and tackle stores this time of year for between $10-$15.

A lot of guys take a flotation device, but I figure if I'm in the water long enough to need one I'm toast anyway... Still I should have one, and so should you!

As far as the fishing part...

Auger-
A hand auger is all you need here in Ohio. The smaller the diameter the easier it will be to cut your holes. If you're going for panfish you don't need anything over 6".

Rods-
You can get jigging rods for(great for shallow water use) for pretty cheap, I'd say less than $10. A good starter combo will run you anywhere from $20 on up, with better combos being in the neighborhood of about $40+

Lures-
Get yourself an assortment of panfish jigs and maybe some little vib'e's. I like Genz Bugs and Mamushkas as well (look these up online.)

Try to go out with someone who knows a little bit about what they're doing and you'll learn a lot in no time.

Good Fishin'

RatherBe
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Very well put ratherbefishin.  A good pair of ice cleats can also help a lot.  I learned the hard way how valuable they are.  Traction is essential on the ice.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
a cheaper route than spikes are #8 or 10 hex head sheet metal screws. cheap and easy, and you can"t forget 'em. i read somewhere the greatest danger to ice fishermen was head injuries from falling on ice. if the snow holds off, when things tighten back up next week, you're gonna need 'em.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
ok so im new to the world of ice fishing and i would like to get some professional oppinions on what gear i need to get. i dont have a lot of money to spend, but im willing to spend a little more than i normally would. need help with the hole shibang, baits and lures, what auger to get, and just everything lol. thanks for any help provided.

I am guessing by your username that you are a CatFish guy by nature and would like to learn about IceFishing.  I am a Banker by profession but my trade is Ice Fishing and I would love to learn more about Catfishing this summer. I have a deal for you. Let me take you IceFishing this winter and you take me Catfishing this summer. Email me if you want to get together on Feb 6th. [email protected]
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Vexilar