Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Reality Check

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Today was a day I dread all ice fishing season, I finally caved in and put my gear away for the season. I know we still have (good) ice but for somebody who has been on the underside of the ice looking up , this ain't no time to be pushing ones luck. I fell completely through , over my head and nobody within voice range. I was lucky to have my shanty rope in hand with my shanty still on dry land was enough drag to aid me out. I fell through @ St. Marys Sail Boat Club right at the lift area so the water is 9-10' deep. I felt my feet hit the bottom had enough sense to push off and the main thing is I didn't panic. Scared , scared the crap right out of me, hell we had 13" of ice , but it had rained the day b4 and rotted the edges and it was about this time of the year back in 1990. The day I went through the temp had dropped back down in the teens and by the time I got back to my truck my clothes were froze solid, my hair was covered in ice , my boot strings were froze , the only thing I had going for me is that my truck was still warm and I did have some socks but no dry clothes. I drove by the hospital thinking about stopping but I was bare ass naked , I took my seat covers off to wrap up in , decided to go home (13 miles) walked in the house dropped my seat covers and went straight to bed, at this time hypothermia was kicking my ass, I couldn't stop shivering , my lips were blue my body was beat red and my skin hurt like hell and the only thing I could feel was pain. My wife forced me out of bed and made me get in a warm tub, I took my blanket in the water with me and when I warmed up reality set it. So be careful out there and ask youself 1 question , is that 1 fish worth my life.

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
glad your story had a happy ending. something i never want to experience. there is still good ice, but there's more bad than good now, and it's getting worse every day. it's time to get out the long poles and the boats ready. there ain't no fish worth dying for.

overcheck

• View Profile
Its not worth getting wet over.I am heading down to the skyway pier the 1st of april.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Wow man sorry to hear that!

At least you made it ok, that story scared me just reading it lol
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Know that feeling.  I've gone in 2 times, once over my head.  This time of year is tricky, never know where you can hit a bad spot.  I packed up my gear yesterday and put the boat back in the garage.  Anyone fishing the late ice, please be careful, we want everyone back here safe next season.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Glad your alright. I went in this year twice but only one leg. I was so cold and i was only a little wet. Thank God you stayed calm and could get out. Please be safe.

Lets get some soft water fish. The spillways are always a good place right now and if you can get to the rip rap at Alum and Hoover after ice out you have a good chance to catch a hog.

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Vexilar