Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Palm Rods

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the video baker. Somehow I missed that post.  Easier to know what's going on when I can see it. Planning on seeing you the 10th at marks.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

quackpot

• View Profile
30 save your money I've permanently retired mine. With out a doubt it's the worst investment I've made for a while.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Lol.if you're not buying 5 more they must be junk!!! No I wasn't necessarily gonna buy one. I just saw them the other day online and was curious. Thanks for the input guys

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Quack, you use them on the ice last year, or just at the docks this year?  I'm curious for the input as I haven't used mine yet. What don't you like about them?  I know they won't work for walleye, but thought for bluegill and crappie they might be a good option in certain situations.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

quackpot

• View Profile
I've been trying to use them on the docks. I would probably be ok with some work. There is a nut on the reel center pin that I tightened after using it at Indian on the ice last year and have tightened it twice this year. It makes the reel seem loose a the line gets behind it. There is a locking arm that holds the spool that is so loose if you bump it wrong the spool will fall off. I put a slight bend in mine so that is fixed. I'm going to put lock tite on the nut. I haven't given up hope but a person shouldn't have to rework new items. I love everything else I have of their products.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That would be aggravating. What about using a nut with Teflon insert? I haven't got use mine yet. Hoping to in the next week or 2 from my little Jon boat after crappie. My dad got one almost 17" yesterday while I was stuck working. Can't wait for a crappie trip, just hope I don't have to wait till thanksgiving weekend when I'm off for 4 days!  ;D :o

Team Wilcraft!

quackpot

• View Profile
Not really room for a nylock, I think lock tite will work. After talking with Banker today I just got done rigging my palm rods. The wife couldn't believe that I was cutting them down even shorter. I can't wait to try them on Indian, I believe they will be perfect for that lake.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I want to hit that lake this year. There are some massive bluegill down there. I agree that it will be a perfect lake for Palm rods. I think Nimisila will be good up this way, as will Mogadore.

Team Wilcraft!

quackpot

• View Profile
Just like last year I plan on being up for the panfish series. If either of you guys get down for a dock tournament I will be glad to show you want I'm talking about.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Don't forget to stop by Marks Bait and Tackle tonight at 7pm

Bring one bring all to Marks Bait and Tackle 7pm -8pm
Topics discussed
How low can you go... A discussion on palm rods
Light em up...A killer technique for late crappie
Need mo structure...how to help fish come to you
I'm gassed...what electric augers bring to the table
And more...
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Planning on attending if my concrete sets up fast enough!   ;D

Team Wilcraft!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
These rods will take some getting used to! Was playing around in the laundry sink after I finally rigged them up this afternoon, and there's going to be a little learning curve in real life. They can do some really cool things with small jigs and micro plastics, but that's all stuff I can see and make them do in the sink. It'll take a tad bit of practice thru an ice hole when you can't see your lure. I don't think I'll use them every trip, but can definitely see where they have their place on the ice.

Team Wilcraft!

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Coming to dick tourneys tomorrow?
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wish I could. Explained more in the pm.

Team Wilcraft!

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Ok another question. Picked up a couple inline reels. Cabelas had em on clearance so figured I'd try em out. How much line do you need to put on them? I'll only be using them in shallow water . I didn't know if you need backing line like a reg fly reel or just throw some line on it and go?

Vexilar