Ice Fish Ohio Forum

3/11/14

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Fished the bay South of the S. Main St ramp for a few this afternoon. Got gills,  Crappie,  and Perch.  Ice is still great, even the edges are tight. The ice was between 7-10" thick with no water on top. Take your cleats though,  is slicker than snot.   Fish were in 7-10' about 3-5' off the bottom. Silver and small was the order of the day to coax bites. With tomorrow's lows and the extended forecast it looks like we may have another week or so left!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Jinksy

• View Profile
Are there any tricks to fishing after dark? Back in oklahoma we use underwater and floating lights. We plan on going out after dark.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The same work well here. I've had good success with underwater lights for Crappie after dark. Keep us posted how it goes. Also if possible use glow jigs, it makes a huge difference!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
that's funny  I was at the north end today, ice was 8-9  and was soaking up and water , then later it was slushy in the shallows . what a great day  ;D how many times can ya ice fish at 67 deg ?  but ice was good. the fish were active mostly caught gills, one perch. the ice drilled very different today ... :-X  met a new friend today and gave him our ifo  site. hope he gets on..
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Jinksy

• View Profile
We decided to go back to the C-4 parking area. Caught 2 keeper crappie the first 10 min here. Haven't caught anything else in the past 15 min. Marking a lot of fish from 12' up to 5'.

FishLaughAtMe

• View Profile
A buddy and myself went and fished behind the pizza shop today and didn't do too bad. About 5 keeper crappie and around 4 nice gills, and a whole mess of dinks. All in all a nice day out there, and like you said, cannot complain about the weather. Ice was slushy on top and was about 7 inches, shore ice was getting iffy and was really wet where you get on by the board. Parking area will be a nightmare if you do not havs 4 wheel drive. Good luck and stay safe everybody, I'm done till open water. See ya then.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Fished the Pine Tree Bay off S. Main on Tuesday from 8am-5:30pm with Quick Release Steve.  Caught 6 fish all day.. 1 Crappie, 3 Perch, 1 Gill & 1 Channel Cat. Picked up more beer bottles  & cans on the ice than fish I caught. SLOB, TRASHY SPORTSMAN ... IF I SEE 'EM LITTERING, I'LL GIVE THEM A PIECE OF MY MIND!

Marked alot of fish all day long, but LOCK JAW.

Put tip ups across the bay opening and managed only 1 3lb cat.  (Fished with Medium Sized Minnows in the hope of getting a stray Walleye).

Slushy walked back to the S. Main St Boat Launch. No shoreline ice deterioration.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:41:58 AM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Cool!   I'll be plowing tomorrow, but if the ice survives I'll be back at Nimi on Friday sometime. Thanks for the update and sorry for the premature exit yesterday. Feeling much better now though. Hoping the 5 degrees tonight will buy us another week!! ;D

Team Wilcraft!

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

May try again today before the storm
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:33:33 AM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

TightLines

• View Profile
Jinksy and myself hit the C-4 parking area of nimisa rd. last night from 7pm-4am. 16 fow, fishing 2-5 ft up from the bottom. Caught around 30 crappie with around 17 being keepers. Thought it was a pretty good night for a couple Oklahoma boys and being our second ice fishing trip. Thanks for all the tips in the previous post.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Great, glad you got into them. Nice mess of fish. What part of the lake did you fish?

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
tightline ya guys did good ,I couldn't get them 2 take minnows for nothing the other day :P :P ice bucket I agree litter bugs make it bad 4 all. i guess if ya throw trash on the ice you will throw trash on your living room floor also...
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

TightLines

• View Profile
Slabslayer I could be mistaken since I'm not real familiar with the area just yet, but I believe it is the C-4 parking lot that I went to, you come in on nimisila road on the east side of the lake and stay to the right when coming into the camping area. We didn't go far from the parking area, if you look on the map in that long bay there is a small 10 fow rise and we were shooting for that spot but ended up in about 16 fow and went with it. We were using pins in neon/glow tipped with small minnows, they were really coming after them when we took the time to actually charge the glow. When they got stubborn we would jig the minnows a bit and it seem to entice them to bite during the slower periods. We had some luck on the same pins tipped with wax worms and pink gulp maggots, but the majority came from the minnows. I attached a pin drop to my exact spot, happy to share it so everyone can have the same luck I did hopefully.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks!   I know right where that's at.  There are some really big tree stumps in that area that can really hold fish if you find them. Thanks so much for sharing!

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar