Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Net fishing at the docks

Green Pea

• View Profile
Saturday I fished from the docks by the pumps. At the far end of the marina there were two guys throwing nets which I have never seen there at the docks. When they retrieved the nets after a loud kurplunk they would bang the nets on the dock to straighten back out. I kept thinking to myself I'm glad they are where they are because anyone close to that racket doesn't stand a chance catching fish. I watched them get in their truck and I thought man I'm glad that's over. I couldn't have been more wrong.

They drove around to the side I was on, walked out on the dock in front of me and started launching their nets 15 to 20 yards from my slip bobber. I have no more right to that lake than anyone else but I personally feel that was inconsiderate at best.

Are nets even legal in a marina?

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I don't know about the legality, but that was exceptionally rude!  There's a whole lake, no need to dynamite your spot with their nets!!  I'd've pushed them in the lake!! :P
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

wis2ohio

• View Profile
Might have been trying to catch shad if the lake has any in it then use those for fishing.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Very rude, they could be warming up for try outs at browns stadium, heard we are looking for a QB! ;D :D
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
rude, >:(   zorro didn't have a sword he ha a fishing rod hehhehehe
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

toadfish

• View Profile
I think shad or other non-game fish are allowed to be taken by nets.  Any game fish must be released.  It was legal what these guys did to you, but not very considerate!  I would have given a thought or two about pushing them in too.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

lowellhturner

• View Profile
Unfortunately, there are jack(deleted)s who are just plain rude...and other than a free sudden swimming lesson, there`s no "cure" for them...

Green Pea

• View Profile
To be honest I'm really not the type to keep my mouth shut and sit there. I figured the netting will be short lived with the ice coming and I was a few minutes from heading out anyhow. I will say this, I wont be so mellow if I'm in that situation again. Hopefully that wont happen. I'm just there to enjoy my time.

Oh well...hey I did catch a couple decent crappie during my first half hour. They went back in the drink to listen to the underwater fireworks.

Salmonid

• View Profile
Castnetting is legal everywhere in public with the rare exception where it is posted that you can NOT net, such as below many dams for example.  I been doing that to sustain my catfishing habit for the last 10+ years, LOL

Now we often run into similar situations and we always ask if people mind if we throw and yes, I understand the banging of the nets on the dock, its kind of how you do it, no way to get around that and I can tell you the fish generally are used to dock noises because Ive castnetted it all, bass, stripers, walleyes, about every species in Ohio and often from a dock. 

At CJB the serious guys are smart enough to not castnet in the marina from shore because of the structures, Ive lost two nets there this year already so we usually only castnet the marina when Im in a boat and can get most of the snags back by dragging in the cedars if need be.

Not saying they were right or wrong without being there but most guys try to work around fishing folks  with some courtesy but at the same time Ive had folks go off on me for spooking the fish when I was well over a 100 ft from them...

Salmonid

Vexilar