Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice Growth

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
I was just checking the ice growth chart,all we need is 7days of 25 deg.and walla,4 in. of ice,not to much to ask for,or is it?
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
http://lakeice.squarespace.com/ice-growth/
The above link is a good explanation of how ice forms and what will excel and hinder ice growth.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm predicting ice the 3rd week of January.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
or sooner dependent on how daring you are.no seriously wait for 4 in. of ice minimum,and always assume no ice is safe ice.had to get the disclaimer in there.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
ice chart just too tease
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

crappiehunter

• View Profile
a buddy of mine went out last year on 3-4 inches at nimi and I thought he was nuts! If that's all we get this year I might be tempted to do that myself.....ice spikes handy for sure though

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
If it's good clear ice, I'll fish on 3" all day long. But I have my float suit and spikes on at all times. But I've never gone thru at early ice, it's always been toward end of season after ice starts to rot and I try to push that 1 last trip. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I will go out on 4 even when its 3 clear and 4 packed snow,  and slab I have watched you move across the ice you have a 6 th sense . I know it sounds weird but its all in how you move on the ice,
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar