Ice Fish Ohio Forum

fish finder

doug1370

• View Profile
i keep seeing something about a fish finder type thing and I have never heard of it, can anyone help me with that? we never used it in Colorado... i am trying to start putting some gear together and it sounds like that could be a nice tool to use!

quackpot

• View Profile
What post was it in, I will try to get you the answer. I use a vexilar for a fish finder and to check depths. Before I got them I had one off a boat that was mounted to a ice carrier.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Another option is what I have, the lowrance portable pack. It's basically a regular fishfinder like you would put on a boat but it comes with a portable battery, and the transducer for ice fishing plus another you can suction cup to a boat or like me I use it on a canoe in the summer. And a bag that holds it all plus 2 small tackle boxes. Might not be as good as some of the flashers out there but it's much cheaper and it works well for me. I can see my jig as I'm fishing on it and a fish when they come in. It's a real game changer from going out and fishing blind. Much easier to tell if you are around fish or not and gives you a chance to coax them into biting if you know they are there. The elite 3x that I have is their basic  unit and costs about 250. The 4x and 5 are more expensive but have more options. Gps downscan  etc. I'll prob upgrade to something else at some point but for now it does the job. Good luck and be safe out there

g

• View Profile
I have a Vex fl-18 that I have had for at least 15 years. Makes it nice to know if fish are under you and they are interested in your bait. Many depth finders for boats offer battery packs to make them portable to use on the ice. I use my flasher and ice rods in a boat when saugeye and crappie fishing. Well worth the money to invest in some type of depth finder. It will increase your catch rates substantially.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I have a garmin 50 dv that I use on my erie boat, and then when the ice is on it goes with...really a help . it has a flasher , vertical real time on the A scope which is a blast watching fish go after my bait. if the ice is half way decent I can walk along and pour some water on the ice set my transducer on the ice and see if its worth drilling.
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Saw guy

• View Profile
Look at the Vexilars and Marcums. These are the most widely used. Ask people that are using them to show the functions of the unit that they are using. Most people are happy to help. The flasher provides a visual dimension to fishing that you don't experience out of the boat.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I've been using  a SHOWDOWN for the last 6-7 years,this unit  uses a vertical display and is very simple to use and understand. It's been very reliable and is light and compact doesn't  take up much space in the sled.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

g

• View Profile
I've checked out Ntoiceman36 Showdown and it is a nice unit too, except when the battery went dead during witching hour last year on Erie, lol. Any unit that will show your lure, fish and depth is a tremendous asset on the ice. Lets you know if you are fishing in the right area and helps you tailor your jigging motion to get the fish to bite  Good luck.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
That's why I carry a spare battery even though it adds a little weight.  ;D Been there, done that. Battery always goes dead at worst possible time when the bite is on!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
Bad thing is , I had an extra battery with me. Wish he would have said something and I would have given it to him.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
hey guys I carry a spare batt   but it is the batt off my cordless drill...its small , light and supplies enough power to last the rest of the day should my batt crap out... been there myself.....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

doug1370

• View Profile
that is all great info!! thank you all for the help! it will go a long way in helping get back into ice fishing!!!  ;D

g

• View Profile
All the major names, Vexilar, Marcum, Hummingbird and Lowrance all make nice units. I recommend buying one when you can. Figure what type of fishing you will be doing most, farm ponds, reservoirs or lakes, shallow or deep. That way you can narrow down the features you will need. I have the Vex fl-18 and love the zoom feature (bottom 6 feet). The Marcums have a zom feature that can be set at different depths which is great for suspended fish. I am going to buy a new depth finder this winter and am going to buy the Marcum lx6 or lx7 . I think the adjustable zoom will come in handy. Using a depth finder makes it nice seeing if there are fish under you, how they are reacting to your jigging motion and where they are in relation to your bait. It was one of the best investments I made for ice fishing. If possible, try to make it to one of the dock tourneys so you can see the different depth finders and how they work.

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
G, your gonna love the Marcum. I got the LX 7, same screen size as the 9 and is ungradable to the 9 with the camera. I really enjoy it, it's a badda$$ unit.

g

• View Profile
Thanks sp. My buddy has the LX 7 and it is a nice unit. Trying to decide if I want the LX 7 or the LX 6. The only drawback with the LX 7 is it doesn't fit in a 5 gal. bucket. I did find an LX 7 online for $605.44 with free shipping so I am leaning toward the LX 7.

Vexilar