Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Auger comparison

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I'm planning on buying a power auger in the next few weeks.  I've been looking at the jiffy and Eskimo propane augers.  Do either have an advantage over the other?

g

• View Profile
Can't help you much on the subject, I own a gas auger. Two of my friends have the Jiffy models and love them. Easy starting and low emissions.

quackpot

• View Profile
I only have gas ones also and love it. I used a friends propane to drill a couple holes last year and it seemed to work well. He got it because of the weight. Some people don't like the idea of carrying gas but I need it for the sled anyway.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I like my gas drill.....and I have seen some pretty nice electric drills
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I like the electric augers, just not the price of most of them.  I thought about getting the clam auger conversion kit, but I don't want to burn out drills every winter.  I like the idea of the propane augers because of the weight, and for the fact I won't have to carry gas with me.  I already carry a couple propane bottles with me, so I'm not carrying anything extra.  As far as I've been able to find, neither the Eskimo or the Jiffy have an advantage over the other.  I have a couple of nice bonuses coming, and I'm going to use some of it to get some new ice gear.  The auger is the only piece of gear I'm not completely sure of what to get.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Eskimo has a higher compression ratio more power less weight best of both worlds
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
For what it's worth I have a Strikemaster gas auger that's 5 years old now and never even had to sharpen the blades yet. And everyone knows how much I ice fish! ;D  It's a little heavier than some models, but it's tried and true and never let me down. If I fill the tank full I can go all day without filing it again. I keep extra gas in the truck but haven't had to use it. And ask anyone who fished with me I drill tons of holes, sometimes over 100 in a day easily. The added weight isn't a big deal, only a couple pounds, and since I pull my shanty with a hip harness, I don't feel the weight at all. My upper body doesn't pull, so I can load the shanty up with gear, only time it sucks is loading it up in my tall truck after a day of fishing if I'm alone!

PS. Good info banker!  You're a wealth of ice fishing knowledge, nice having you on here!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:00:35 PM by slabslayer »
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
I invested in a nils master electric auger for less weight last season. Works great with my 20v dewalt, 12" of ice in about 10 seconds. I have the 6" model. Lots of holes on a fully charged battery. Comes in sections with an arbor and a handle. It's cool because if you have 10" of ice you only need to carry the 14" section and add according to ice thickness. Check it out.

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Nils-USA-Arctic-Trekker-Convertible-Hand-Augers?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=CIv3iJbN58gCFQiraQodtv8GCA

jmsteele187

• View Profile
Uncle Sam decided to take half of my bonus, which I wasn't very happy about.  So I had to do what I could to save money where I could.  A propane auger just wasn't in the budget anymore.  I just ordered an Eskimo mako auger, at a very discounted price.  It ended up being around $225.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
nice  ,    it makes moving around a lot better . 
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar