Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Cheap Gear Options (Combos and Augers)

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I have read topics on our website and on other sites (iceshanty.com, etc.) about people who are looking for cheaper gear options for their ice tackle.

Here are some items that I have found to exhibit both good quality and a very reasonable price.

1. Ice Viper Ice Fishing Combos- These combos can be identified by their white rod and black reel and handle with red accents. They come in anything from Lightweight to Medium-Heavy that I have seen or purchased. Ultralight and Heavy action models may be on the market, but I haven't seen any myself.

The thing that I like most about these rods is that the tip guide is a little wider than on certain other (less expen$ive models.) This allows you to use a spring bobber and fish at varying depth ranges without compromising sensitivity to light winter bites! (This is a big deal for me because it saves time and helps you to avoid iced up floating bobbers.)

These Ice Viper combos will run you about $20-$25 and are very durable and perform to whatever level of angler is holding them.

2. Strikemaster Hand Augers- In Ohio We have little or no need for power augers if you want my honest opinion. With the exception of those who need a power auger to offset a physical inability to drill a hole.

There are two different models. The Mora, which is slightly less expensive than the higher end hand auger the Lazer. The Mora offers clean cutting ability in a variety of diameters, and the blades are easy to sharpen. I usually only sharpen my blades about once a winter (about halfway through, whether they need it or not.) The Mora will run you about $45-$60.
The Lazer is the Ferrari of hand augers. It has a wicked blade system that will get you through even the worst quality ice with a very conservative amount of effort. The price on these is only marginally higher than that of the Mora, about $10-$15 more than its counterpart of comparable size. Both are a great investment in successful ice outings and can be partially disassembled for more efficient storage and mobility.

PLEASE NOTE:
I have never needed a hole larger than 6" in all my years of ice fishing. I once pulled a 7 lb. Channel Catfish through a 6" hole with no real problem.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 06:17:27 PM by ratherbefishing »
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown