Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Cheaper Options (Line, Tackle, and Lures)

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Tackle can be as cheap or expensive as you want. You can look for deals at the big sales at places like Cabelas (Wheeling, WV or Dundee, MI), Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World (Toledo or Cincy), Gander Mountain, or Online.

These are a couple must-have items in terms of tackle, they include, but are not limited to...

Barrel and Snap Swivles- to avoid line twist or to make it possible to rig certain lures.

Hooks- very small hooks will do the job for most applications. (Keep them very sharp, sometimes you only have a split second to set before the fish spits your offering.)

Buy these items in bulk if you can, and go for quality! It will be cheaper in the end. Eagle Claw has good products that are a domestic product.

Line- Ice lines are slightly more expensive and may not be necessary in all applications. If I am fishing on a nice day or am in the Shanty a lot, I like to use an abrasion resistant flourocarbon line in the smallest diameter I can possible get away with. Keep in mind that fish are skittish most times, and that smaller line weight doesn't always mean less visible. You are looking for a smaller diameter when choosing line. Flourocarbon is a nice advantage to have here, even though some people will contest that it gets too stiff in extremely low temperature situations. Bass Pro XPS would be fine for this application. I caught a nice Saugeye on Indian Lake last year with an ultralite rod combo and 4 lb. Seaguar AbrazX line. My line choice was a bit more expensive, but it was something that I felt I needed to spend the money on, as it was my only connection to the toothy fillets that were trying to get away.

As lures go...
Get yourself a few vertical jigging Rapalas or Salmos($$$).

Some Blade Baits.. Vibes or Cicadas, and Swedish Pimples($$).

Jigs, Jigs, Jigs... Lots of colors shapes and sizes. Stock up($)!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:09:54 AM by ratherbefishing »
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown