Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Wives on the ice?

Downthehole

• View Profile
So...

Have your wives gone out on the ice with you?
Did they like it?
How did you entice them onto the ice? (keep it clean!)
Do any of your wives come out regularly?
Have you ever been out fished by your wife?

Just wondering....

Andy
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

Downthehole

• View Profile
Btw: This was a random post to get my mind off worrying if/where I'll be going out on ice this weekend....sorry!

fishingful

• View Profile
My future wife does.
She gets mad when I don't take her.
She asked me.
Whenever she can.
Simple answer.....yes

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
The first year I was married (the 2nd time) I took my wife out on the ice.  I was only a bucket guy at that point and didn't have a shanty with me.  We were just below Howard Rd at Alum and the ice was making all sorts of noise growing.  We didn't catch any fish and she was cold and scared.  Needless to say we didn't stay out too long.  Now we have a total of 5 kids (2 hers, 1 mine, and 2 ours), with one that is only 9 months old, so she doesn't get out with me and my time on the ice has been a bit limited.  I've also been hunting more these last few years so I need to pick and choose when and where I'm spending my time, or else I will end up divorced a 2nd time!

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The only ICE my wife sees is in her glass.

We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Lol. That's funny. My wife has said she'd go sometime and seemed like maybe she didn't want me gone all weekend again this week so I offered to take her. But she didn't seem impressed when I told her we may have to get on the ice with a 2 x 10.  Then again she said if the ice was making noise she wouldn't like that either. So I'm not sure it's ever gonna happen.

Downthehole

• View Profile
The first year I was married (the 2nd time) I took my wife out on the ice.  I was only a bucket guy at that point and didn't have a shanty with me.  We were just below Howard Rd at Alum and the ice was making all sorts of noise growing.

Mines a similar experience on our local pond with no shanty, just chairs. She did catch a nice bluegill. Hopefully she'll come out with me again.....

Andy

g

• View Profile
That is funny ibj. My wife says she will go with me sometime but I don't see it happening, she hates the cold. Can't hardly get her to go in the summer. Would love for her to go but as long as she doesn't mind me going whenever I want, I won't complain.

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
mine went a few times,till using the rest room became a issue,more difficult for women,than men.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I've taken my wife and all 3 of my daughters on the ice with me , the only problems I ever had and still do is the guys out there fishing that seen there were girls on the ice have little or no respect when it comes to going to the bathroom . It seemed pissing in front of them was some kinda funny thing to do, for that reason when I do take them I try to find the most secluded area out there and sometimes you still have idiots tromping around you

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
thats just plain crude on their part.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

quackpot

• View Profile
Right after we got married we always went together. Now that she has a job she stays home.

Fishingoat

• View Profile
Mine went once a few yrs ago.  We didn't really catch any fish, but we stayed in the shanty and had a heater, comfortable seats and hot coco.  She thought it was fun.  I guess not really that fun because it was only once a few hrs ago.  My advice would be to treat them like a kid.  Make it comfortable and not a death march.  It doesn't even have to be all fishing.  Have a snowball fight or make up games to play on the ice.  See who can slide the furthest or what ever.  Make it fun!!! Go where you know you can catch a few to keep it interesting and when she is ready to leave, just go.  If you have friends that want to go with the group, even better.  The more the merrier. 
Hope she enjoys. 
Born to fish.   No plan B.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Same here. I got mine on the ice once.  She enjoyed it, but hates cold. She is never warm, but in the shanty that day she was OK. We, OK mostly she, caught some nice bass. She thought it was fun and now can understand why I enjoy it, but has yet to come back out, even now that i have a thermal shanty.  :)
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar