Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Let me know your opinion.

crv423 · 25 · 12749

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Today I kept a 3lb largemouth and I caught threw the ice, and got ALOT of slack for it. My question is, why is it so wrong to keep 1 large mouth every so often when the same guys giving me slack keep 6 eyes or 30 crappie every time they catch a limit. I understand bass are a tourney fish but eyes and crappie are too. Some say bass don't taste good but I"ve caught and ate them before threw the ice and they are like crappie, not great outta warm water but tasty outta cold water. I don't think anyone with a eye or a crappie on the ice should say anything to a guy with 1 bass on the ice. What's your opinion.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I feel that if you are eating it and not throwing it away who cares what you keep. Heck those guys complaining are probably the ones whos keeping the small gills for dinner.

I saw blow them off and tell them to mind their half a cent.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
To me it doesn't make sense, every state has a limit on fish they feel should be limited, if they thought that limit would deplete the species they wouldn't allow you to keep any. I feel if you don't think it's right to keep a bass then you shouldn't keep any species of fish.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:54:36 PM by crv423 »
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Agreed!  I'm strictly catch and release myself and am a bass tournament fisherman. However, if it's a legal fish, it's your business and nobody else's. A 3 pounder isn't like a 10 pounder, so you're not pulling from the mega gene pool. Nothing wrong with a nice tasty dinner!  Enjoy! ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
crv  I have 2 agree with ya  the all mighty largemouth tastes just as good as the others, and keeping 1 now and then isn't a big deal..  2  me they have been over rated , I usually throw bass back because I don't care for them . im a perch, gill,crappy,ect kinda guy ;D ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
i see nothing wrong with it, nice to have something other than dink bluegill we are blessed with.  very tasty too
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

swedish nipple

• just like fishining out of a barrell
    • View Profile
I fully agree. They taste much better through the ice. I don't go targeting them but every now and then you need a table model. Besides It isn't anyones buisness what you keep as long as its legal. If its your buddy messin with ya, well ya kinda gotta take the ribbing. But if it isnt, Tell them to go sit on their bucket and mind their own business.
Spencer Lake, Wellington, Willard, Chippewa, Oberlin

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
you caught it legally. it's your fish. release it, eat it, fertilize your garden with it.
 i don't always eat bass, but when i do, they're always bigger than that.

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I personally don't keep bass and don't see myself ever keeping them, but I'm not a big fan of eating them either.  If you like eating them, feel free to keep some "eater sized" fish for the table.  I don't really target them through the ice, but if I see one on the camera, I'm definitely trying to get it to take my bait.  So far I haven't had any takers though.  I say fish on and feel free to take one or two here and there, just let the bigger ones go.

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
You should do as you want within the limits.  Sure bass are considered trophy fish but so are saugeye and other fish people regularly keep.  I wouldn't let what people say phase you.

g

• View Profile
To me, it is up to the individual to do what he wants to with his or her fish as long as it is legally caught and of legal length. It is nobodyelses business but your own. Everyone has different tastes as to what fish species they like to eat. Keep what you want and I won't think any less of you for keeping a fish I wouldn't keep myself. You don't have to justify or explain it to anyone.

steelneyes

• View Profile
It probably takes less time to grow a legal size bass than an 8" gill.  Certainly less than an 8 lb. walleye.  Plus they reproduce themselves without any need for stocking.  Those are some of the same people who would keep a pike if they caught it so it "wouldn't eat the bass".   I haven't eaten a bass in 15 years, but used to take them out of a small farm pond in reasonable numbers to prevent stunting and they were fine.  Respect the fisheries we have and keep what you wish in reasonable numbers (whether its a limit or just enough for dinner).  In New England yellow perch are considered worse than white perch.  In the south catfish are prime eating.  Just because a fish has millions of dollars in sponsorship and sparkle boats dedicated to it, doesn't mean you shouldn't keep one if you wish or 5 or whatever the limit is.  I am sure many more fish die from a hot afternoon in a "livewell" after a few days, than ice fisherman eating them. 
Enjoy our resources responsibly and enjoy your catch. 
And next time someone asks if your going to release a fish just tell them "yes I will, he's going home to take a bath in the Crisco Jacuzzi.
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

fishingful

• View Profile
Not a big deal! I catch a bunch of bass during the year and let them all go. But during ice season I will keep a 12-14 inch bass or 2. They are great through the ice and are some good eating baked with lemon pepper! Over my life time I have released many many more fish than I have kept. I know one year when I bass fished hard all year I kept 2 bass and released over 700. Both that were kept were caught through the ice.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I think you should be ashamed if your self keeping a legal size fish,especially since our lakes are filled with them,what next we shouldnt keep CHANNEL cats even though they stock them consistently!!good for you  for icing dinner ;D
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
The only time bass are hard to catch / find ,is during a tournament . If  its legal and your going to utilize it , go for it . My wife loves eating bass and I keep some for her . It's a fish , and it will be replaced .

Vexilar