Ice Fish Ohio Forum

What's the best way to sharpen auger blades

jmsteele187

• View Profile
Can anyone share some tips on sharpening auger blades, please?  I don't know if the type of auger makes a difference, but I have a strikemaster mora hand auger.

mitch131

• PRO STAFF
  • there always next year
    • View Profile
I never found a good way i just buy new ones i hearded people sharpen them but they dont last.
marcum
strikemaster
jammin jigs
artic armour

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
I have tried myself and taken them to local shops to no avail.  Just buy new ones or send them into strike master.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

jmsteele187

• View Profile
Do you replace them every year, or how often should I replace them?

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Gas auger blades I send into strikemaster and Mora blades for hand auger I just replace about every two years.  Trick is to keep them dry after drilling holes.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i had a guy at work sharpen some for me a couple years ago. they worked pretty good, but he has a machine shop in his garage.i think he used a surface grinder. fish 307 used to have an auger blade exchange deal where you ship them your dull blades and they sent you sharpened ones. maybe half price of new.
  the geometry of auger blades is critical, and you can get them razor sharp, but they won't cut ice. nothing worse than going out with a razor sharp dull auger on first ice. been there, done that.

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
had a guy at saw shop do some for me once. they cut good at first but didnt hold the edge too long.  i just by new when i need to.
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I agree that replacing them is best, unlike line, that is a gimic to replace every year, these blades get weakened especially after a long ice season and if not lubed after the season a long off season of possible rust. Now I do keep my old blades handy in case I loose a blade in the ice (keep your nuts tightened throughout the season to avoid this from happening) but nothing cuts ice like a new blade...especially a mora blade made in Sweden from Strikemaster!
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Minnowhead

• View Profile
What really amazes me is that the old blades are still extremely sharp! Wouldn't drill a hole but I cut my hand replacing old blades and I believe I could have sliced a tomatoe with the dull ones!
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

skunkedagain

• View Profile
FYI, the Folks at Strike Master no longer have the Auger Blade exchange program. Here is the response I received from an E-Mail

Mr. Shearer,

Yes, the blade exchange program has been discontinued.  The rising costs of steel and shipping have made it impossible to continue with it, as it's not cost effective.  If you would like to order replacement blades, you may order them from our website, www.strikemaster.com, or you can also check with your local sporting goods retail stores, and some bait shops also try to keep some on hand.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Sincerely,

StrikeMaster Customer Service

A@C

• View Profile

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
do they still make matchbooks?   ill try that  thanks ac
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
If your around Central Ohio the Old Dutchman did a exchange in years past.  I did it two years ago when we actually had ice.  I haven't cut many holes with my gas auger so I'm going to just see how it does this season before I sink money into new blades for it.

jmsteele187

• View Profile
I know it's not a new set of blades, but I found a auger blade sharpener that strikemaster makes.  It has a carbide sharpening edge and was about $11.  It seemed to do a pretty good job of putting a fresh edge on the blades of my mora, but I won't know for sure till we get some ice.

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Im not sure where you are located but I know Mogadore Bait and Tackle use to sharpens blades. I believe they send them out to have them done but they do a pretty good job. I have had several sets of blades done there through the years. I have tried several different methods of doing them myself and none of them lasted very long. All the sets that I had done at Mogadore lasted about 3/4 of the time a new set would do. If you take them there its normally 1-2 weeks to get them back.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

Vexilar