Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Braided line

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I started using braided line several years ago on my saugeye/ walleye rig ups, some say it is too visible to the fish, they build up with ice too fast, the list of cons goes on, the pros, very sensitive to the bite, more powerful hook sets and no line breaks due to getting cut on the ice. This is what I've learned from using braided line, 1st and foremost you have to put monofilament line on 1st, enough to cover the entire spool, this will prevent line slippage when the braided line gets cold, if you do not put it on 1st, it acts like the drag is not working and it will just slip and you will not be able to fish with it during cold temps, 2nd use reel spray on the line to help prevent ice build up if you are fishing outside your hut. I use a palomar knot to tie on my clips, very strong knot.
knot. Good luck on the ice fishing, taking a few days off, pulling the sled around every day for 5 days in a row has me feeling old today.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I have also switched to Gamma braided line for my Saugeye rods and it has help my hook up ratio especially in deeper water. Thanks for the tips on keeping the ice build up if your bucket fishing.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I run braid on my saugeye rods but I use a 16 inch or so fluorocarbon leader attached to a very small ball bearing swivel. Helps keep twist out and you don't have to worry about fish seeing it. I don't know that they would anyway but that's what I do soft water and just kind of adapted it to the ice. Gonna try the reel spray tho.

Vexilar