Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Walleye Equipment Help Needed

moldman

• View Profile
Fellow Ice Fishers,   Never really targeted walleye thru the ice, only caught a few while perch fishing. Wife and I would like to make a trip and fish strictly for walleye thru the ice. I believe we have most of the basics but would like your help in equipment suggested. Mostly fish in a flipover so rod length should be short? What length, action, etc., line choice and general basic lures/jigs, etc.? Any help is deeply appreciated. Thanks
Wishing You All Tight Lines and a Limit of Fun

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
For lures, some jigging rapalas,and swedish pimples.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
short ice rods work good , I use braid with a leader on some rods. the power pro in 5lb test works great for me , its blue.. less stretch on hook set a swivel helps stop spin,..wally love leeches , gold is my fav color. wow its funny but each body of water has its own little nich on what fish hit on so adjust to where ya fish..
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

g

• View Profile
Agree with holehopper. Add a few blade baits (vibe or similar) and some jigging spoons like buckshot rattle spoons and you should be able to ice some eyes. I use 28-30 in. medium action rods with 8 lb. mono. Many people use braided line and have good luck with it (personal preference). Lure size depends on fish size. I use #2 to #5 jigging rapalas and #5 swedish pimples for average sized fish and if there is no current. Upsize to#6 or #7 in current so i can see my lure on my flasher. Use bigger sizes for big fish too. Blue and chrome and perch colored rapalas  and prism green/gold and red or orange pimples work good. Good luck.

wmwhitten

• View Profile
Don't forget about Little Cleo's any of the colors mentioned above. Blue and Silver on Erie works well firetiger, perch, gold.

g

• View Profile
That they do. 2 years ago it was the 1/3 oz. gold and last year was the 2/5 oz. blue and silver or green and silver.

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
Yes G,the hammered green and silver,tipped with a big ole emerald shiner,heck I'd eat that myself. :D
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

g

• View Profile
I know what you mean holehopper. Add a little mustard and I am liable too.

Vexilar