Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Some tips for fishing New Waters

OIM · 9 · 5195

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
I recently had an email from someone asking how to approach a new lake. I did something on this topic a while back but I went back and looked at what I wrote. I think there is some really good info in there so I thought I would share it with everyone. Also if you have some other tips or adivce on things you do I would love to hear them.

3 Steps to Ice fishing new waters

Also if anyone is going to coming up to Lake St. Clair to fish at all this winter make sure you stop by the tackle shop I was asked to manage up there. I will have more info soon on this.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:47:18 PM by OIM »

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
link doesnt work
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It depends on what you want to catch.

For any species I always study a lake map. The contour lines will tell the story.

Look for shallower flats adjacent to deeper water at first and last ice. Look to drastic depth changes or humps during middle ice. You have to know the habits the species you're after in order to find them and be successful.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
This is where all the new technology comes to the fore.  I like to use my handheld gps with my Navionics chip in it.  I load it on the water and can see where I'm at on the lake.  I find a good spot, use my gas auger and drill 50 holes or so.  Then use your Vexilar to pinpoint the drops, humps, etc that you want to fish.  I've never been skunked on new water with this approach.  If you want to go a step further, you can use an Aqua-vu underwater camera to see what fish species you've found.  I've been suprised at what I've seen a couple of times.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
This is where all the new technology comes to the fore.  I like to use my handheld gps with my Navionics chip in it.  I load it on the water and can see where I'm at on the lake.  I find a good spot, use my gas auger and drill 50 holes or so.  Then use your Vexilar to pinpoint the drops, humps, etc that you want to fish.  I've never been skunked on new water with this approach.  If you want to go a step further, you can use an Aqua-vu underwater camera to see what fish species you've found.  I've been suprised at what I've seen a couple of times.

Great technique slabslayer!  The only thing I am lacking right now is a camera.  I guess I can get away with not having one for now.  If I run into a used one for a good price I may go that route.  It would be nice to know what kind of vegetation or structure is down there.  Also see how the fish are reacting to your jig other than your electronics.  Since I just got my gas auger this past Spring I plan on making swiss cheese quite often out there and doing lots of hole hopping.  Depending on the cash I get for x-mas I may get the Hopper that OIM was talking about a few weeks ago or more jigs is always good as well.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The camera is the least important for me.  It's a great tool, but the last one I'd add.  It's worth it if you can afford it.  Maybe Fin weekend you can pick up a new one for under $75.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I sold my camera, around here the water is too murky to see anything.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The camera will work in some waters.  Berlin is murky, but Deer Creek and Walborn I can see clearly.  Also farm ponds and strip mines I can see very well.  I learned some interesting things in Deer Creek last year.  With my camera I saw some large bass literally sitting ON large limbs of a tree I was crappie fishing in.  Those fish I never would have seen any other way, on the electronics they looked like limbs, because they never moved.  The camera definately has it's place.  Some of the lakes up my way are clear enough to use a camera. 

Team Wilcraft!

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
link doesnt work

I just fixed the link sorry guys. I was busy moving up to Lake St. Clair.

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

Vexilar