Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

May 03, 2024, 10:17:33 AM

Author Topic: Different areas?  (Read 4268 times)

g

• View Profile
Different areas?
« on: January 04, 2014, 10:07:30 PM »

Keep reading about Long Island ice but was wondering if anyone has checked other areas? I would like to know about Moundwood, Dunns, Blackhawk, and Cranberry ice thickness. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I figure most of the ice will be fishable after the arctic snap if the snow cover is minimal.

slowmovinj

• View Profile
Re: Different areas?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 12:33:50 AM »

drove all around the lake this afternoon..the only place that had a decent amount of ice was, Long Island the first pull,and it was packed for a few hrs,left at dusk ,and no one was there anymore..was a slow evening.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:11:18 AM »

I didn't walk out on it, but I checked cranberry and it took 3 hits with the spud to get threw. There was minimal snow and the ice was clear. If I had to guess I would say its close to being ready if not already. If you do get on it let me know.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

eyeon2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:43:39 AM »

I checked Blackhawk as well. Same story about 1.5 .... bar through on first whack. Foot went through next to where I stepped on.  Did fish a channel with 2.5 and managed 11 nice gills over 8  and 4 crappie 10-11.  I like most of you thought more ice would have formed. Come on 15 below!

Mullygyn

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:11:15 AM »

I was there yesterday. Made it to the first island at blackhawk. The snow made the ice UNSAFE. Less than 1in any further. Walked the island at long island south to the point where the main flat comes and its is UNSAFE. Open water in the channel. Ice was 2-4in. On the other side of the island the ice is UNSAFE. Edges bad everywhere. No way to get to main flat. Even cut through the island to make it over. Moundwood IS fishable. But cant get on it from parking lot. The marina IS fishable. Dunns pond is UNSAFE.

g

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 12:45:43 PM »

Thanks for the reports. figure it should all be fishable after the arctic snap. Hope to start fishing Indian Thurs. or Fri. and all weekend.

Mullygyn

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 01:23:35 PM »

From the ice i saw... Cold or not the snow is going to ruin whats already there. Be very careful. It was more than sketchy
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar