Ice Fish Ohio Forum

New to ice fishing, gonna try Alum on Saturday

bshock · 7 · 5715

bshock

• View Profile
HI All, just thought I'd introduce myself and solicit any recommendations.  Reading some of the other posts about Alum, it looks like the fish have been shy.  Regardless, I was thinking of trying around the State marina, or the swim cove south of the State marina.  A buddy and I have a bunch of tip-ups and our jigging rods, and I'll be using a Vexilar for the first time.

Anyway, what do you all think of these spots?

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Remember, spud bars and spikes save lives! Good luck and be safe on the ice!
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

bshock

• View Profile
Thanks Swamp Rat, when I went ice fishing (for the first time) up in Michigan, I just drilled holes through the ice with my auger to gauge the ice thickness.  Wouldn't that be adequate to confirm the safety of the ice?  Or am I unaware of something particular at Alum?

OhioSwampRat

• View Profile
Hitting the ice in front of you with a spud bar ensures you don't walk out into a thin spot, if your drilling a hole, it's already too late, you will be through the ice
Lake Medina, Ledge lake, Hinkley lake, Wallace Lake, Spencer lake, judges Lake, Plumb creek, Buckeye woods, Hubbard valley, Chippewa Lake, Portage Lakes Findlay State Park

fool4fish

• View Profile
welcome bshock I am pretty new to the forum as well I live in Columbus and the bite seems to very shy n slow but I guess that's what seperates us rookies from pros huh but heard word of mouth not on here crappies are nice if u can find some I have wondered if the marina would be good I fish it a lot late spring and summer there but it seems u don't find em where u do in summer vs. winter sometimes. regardless the area near the marina is by far the most productive for different species in one night late spring I caught lrg mouth, sm.mouth, rockbass, bluegill, whitebass,  crappie, and suageye all on same jig and a lot of changing depth im guessing the back of the cove is going to be very stained runoff etc. out near the mouth of the cove prob be more clear and depths of 18 plus maybe 22 ft. south edge of cove opposite of marina docks has lots of depth changes whole down trees in water pink glitter or pink was always best color and those fish I caught are pigs lots and lots of lake shiners near there hope it can help you out
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
Welcome bshock.  That area has been good in years past but the bite at Alum has been very tough unless you are chasing crappie only.  Even then it's not the hottest bite in the world.  Good luck and stay safe!

bshock

• View Profile
Well I had fun, but got skunked.  I saw some sniffers on the vex, which was pretty cool having never used a flasher before.  I set up right in front of the ramp at the southeast end of the reservoir.  There were a bunch of shanty's set up deep in that cove near the road.  My guess is that's where the fish were.

I had seven tip-ups with minnows, and my buddy and I were jigging with lures with waxworms.

Oh well, still learning and still had fun.  Hopefully I get another chance or two before the water gets soft again.

Vexilar