Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Adapter for hand augers

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I am wondering if anyone has made or bought an adapter for your hand auger to convert it into a power drill auger?
I am looking at doing this real soon but I have no idea if it's cheaper to buy one or make one and if I make one I have no clue were to start at.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
It'll burn your drill up.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I have heard different things about doind this some say it doesn't work the best others say it works great and saves alot of time..

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I know a few people that have used them. Not a single person was happy. Between being limited to the holes you can drill because the batterys die fast. It burns up your drill and you will have to replace it. I have also talked to one guy that he lost his auger down the hole. After he punched thru the hole the auger came lose and went to the bottom of the lake.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I've not heard real positive feedback either.  By the time you burn up 3 or 4 drills you could've gone out and bought a power auger!  ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

OldSailor

• View Profile
'm going to toss my $.02 into the pot!I've read that IF you get a good lithium ion drill, 18v MINIMUM and better yet a 36V one, you can drill about 20 holes on one battery. If you troll, you would need pleanty of extra batteies. $$$$$ Get a gas auger and you'll be far happier in the long run!! I have read on other forums where people have burned up drills, not had enough juice to drill many holes, etc. For all of that, you can buy a Nils hand auger, or a used or cheaper model gas auger!! ::)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
T ried it up here in Wi and outside of burning up a good drill and hurting my arm more than a hand auger I saw no good use for them i have seen guys drill 4 and 5 inch holes with them and were pretty happy. I always take my Jiffy

wis2ohio

• View Profile
Looks like I will just stick with the hand auger the way it is plus I don't have the money to go out and blow on somethign that might work. Thanks for the advice guys

OldSailor

• View Profile
Looks like I will just stick with the hand auger the way it is plus I don't have the money to go out and blow on somethign that might work. Thanks for the advice guys
You're in the same situation as some of the others on here, such as myself. You want to/have to make every penny count. I have things I want for ice fishing and just have to bide my time and save up. Save and get a gas auger when you can! Until then use your hand auger and enjoy the ice fishing if/when we get ice!! ;D
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

Matthew Fiedler

• View Profile
i made my own adapter out of a allen head socket and just drilled my hole the the socket part to allow the screw for the auger to go thru.  sure it drilled holes but it almost burned up my drill too.  def not worth it.

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Surf the net for a gas powered auger.  I got a Strikemaster for $100 off craigslist that a guy used to drill fence hole posts.  Replaced the blades and it runs like a top.  I have a 6" hand auger for inland lakes and those you can get used on the cheap too.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

mikeL

• View Profile
Watch craigs list and eBay
You can pick a auger for a heck of a deal
Pro staff

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Yeah I bought one and just like they are saying, you will burn up your drill and I couldn't get more than 10 holes with NEW 28V Milwaukee drill per battery. and thats a $500 drill and a 5" auger with new blades. I went gas last year and I have no regrets.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
i saw this thing on ebay called  icekicker  and ice kicker 2.  the icekicker2 is a gear reduction outfit.  might fit the bill for you.  i would reccomend  highest volt drill u can afford.   like a lot of the guys said though when u factor in the expense of the drill, the attachment and the auger if u dont have one   gas would be more feasible
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
there are some videos on youtube  showing these things in action
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

Vexilar