Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Most Memorable Outing-What's Yours?

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Since we can't ice fish yet, I was just thinking about some of the trips I've taken in years past.  Also wanted to hear about some of your most memorable, for good or bad reasons. 

One of my best was 3 years ago on Nimisila.  Went out early in the morning before a huge snowstorm.  The bluegill fishing was outstanding!  Ended up catching 5 bluegills over 10 inches, with another dozen between 8-9 3/4 inches.  They were hitting anything green I dropped in the hole. 

I've had similar success with other species on other lakes ahead of huge snowstorms, but nothing equal to that day.  The only thing awful about fishing like that is getting the snow out of your shanty.  After I packed it in that day on Nimisila, I had between 1 and 2 inches of new snow in my gear in the time it took me to collapse the shanty, walk to the truck, and stow all my equipment.  Not to mention driving home was fun!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
i had taken a fishing hiadous when the bug bit me again about 5 years ago in Port Clinton, at the time I was working as an Assistant Bank Manager for Woodforest National Bank in the Port Clinton Walmart and was noticing all of the selection that Walmart had for ICE FISHING A pass time I would frequent on Lake St. Clair. So I bought an auger 4 buckets, 4 rods and a pack of jigs and headed out to the Resthaven Wildlife Area Pond 10 where I notices tracks on the ice the day before. I started fishing for gills when a couple of shanties pulled up next to me. They were catching fish so i figured I would get to know them  :o I told them that my name was Scott and that I worked at a bank and that I wasn't having any luck...well they definitely didn't hear the "my name is Scott" part but for the rest of the afternoon they called me Banker and asked if I was catching em' yet.  "Catch anythin yet Banker." And that is how I got back into the sport and how I was nicknamed "Banker"  ;)
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Great story.  Always wondered how you got the name Banker...now I know.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
Great stories guys.
I guess I have a couple that are pretty memorable. The first one was with my grandfather while we were fishing on Pymatuning.  I was in my pre-teen years and it was super cold and the snow was coming down.  Those were the times before we had electronics but my grandfather just had a nose for the fish.  We sat on our buckets not far from each other and I caught walleye after walleye.  He didn't have much time to even fish because he was standing with me gaffing my fish at the hole.  I would say that was one of the days that just got me hooked on the hard water.

The second great memory was also on Pymatuning but this time I was a newlywed and just took my now ex-wife up to enjoy a weekend at the cottages up there.  She really wasn't much of a fisherman but followed me out on the ice while it was moaning and groaning making more ice.  She was scared so bad I couldn't help but laugh and just reassure her we were fine.  Even though electronics were around some by then I still didn't have any.  We set up on a spot I figured was close to a mid lake hump.  Once dusk came so did a flurry of eye's that just made the trip and made my ex not even think about the noises the lake was making.

Great times...

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I have 2 trips that i will never forget. One is on video.

The first was last year catching all those hog Walleye's and having CRV as net boy all weekend was the best ever. ;D

The second was a trip up to Upper Red Lake in Minnesota. We where catching crappies that were no smaller than 16 inches. Awesome trip.

David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Vexilar