Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Saturday Outing at C.J. Brown (Springfield, Ohio)

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'll be heading to C.J. Brown (Buck Creek S.P.) on Saturday morning for some plank fishing. I plan to arrive at about 8:30am. Panfish will be the target if anyone is interested. I've also been seeing some nice eyes on the camera. So far there are four of us going. I'd like to make it a dozen or more and have a nice SW Ohio outing for everyone who has been waiting so patiently for the ice to come.

C.J. Brown Reservoir is located at Buck Creek State Park, 2 miles northeast of Springfield, approximately 1 mile east of State Route 4 on Croft Road, and approximately 3 miles north of U.S. Route 40 on Bird Road and Buck Creek Lane.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I am deer hunting this weekend Ryan. Will be down Thurs-Sat. Next week!!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:07:37 AM by OhioFisher19 »
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

ILfisher

• View Profile
Sounds like a good time. Give me a chance to check out new line and terminal  tackle. Give the Vex a warm up.

old reeler

• View Profile
Did some "plank" fishing at CJ last Sunday afternoon- got a chance to try a Vex I picked up used (main reason for the trip)- caught some dinks but in talking to some others the bite for larger fish was good until the sun got up & then shut down- I don't know if I'll be there this Sat. but it's on the short list- good luck to all!!

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'll keep that in mind... I may go up a little earlier than originally planned. I'll probably fish until about 10:30am. My rigging is all done so an earlier start is likely. I'll have a couple of other members meeting me tomorrow.
On Monday 7 People were committed, now only 3 are certain. These holidays clearly don't lend themselves to fishing.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
I will be there at 7:30 and Gary said he would also. bringing out Fl-22 and hope to catch a few.

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
i would love to but im hunting this weekend so i can put more meat in the freezer before we get ice. If anyone plans on getting out anytime next week i may be able to make that.

lowellhturner

• View Profile
How`d you do, sir? Was curious if the cover is holding anything worthwhile? At some time soon it surely will !

OldSailor

• View Profile
Sure would like to know how it went Saturday!! Was there enough ice to plank fish, and if so, did you do any good ??? Between the weather and the holidays, it can make it difficult for many of us to get away. :(
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan!!!

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
caught a few crappie legal and a few throw backs, but it was fun to test out new vexlar along side a couple other IFO guys with them showing me how to deel with the interferance of multiple units in a short space. :)

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
It was not a roaring success by any stretch of the imagination, but we did get a few keepers and they made for a nice lunch yesterday. You can't beat cold water panfish!

We did discover that Scott is having some issues with his Vexilar. Hopefully they can get some work done on it before the ice season gets into full swing. I think it may just be a transducer issue, but it isn't one I've dealt with before. I'll post about it on the Vexilar forum in case it's an easy fix.

So the trip served its purpose. We got out, caught some fish and had an opportunity to work out some wrinkles with our equipment.

My fish were all caught on two lures.
1. 1/32 oz. jammin jig Glow Belly Bug (Pink) and a 3mFiska Tungsten Jig (Joe Glow.)

I tipped them with Wayne's Jigs Frogs (Green Glow) and Northland Bloodworms (Waxworm and Gummyworm.)

Fish were aggressively charging baits on a steady rise off the bottom. Most larger fish however were suspended about 8' down in 14' of water. They were easy to draw in, but were biting very weakly.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake