Ice Fish Ohio Forum

catawba

g · 14 · 8178

g

• View Profile
The airboats are running & catahing fish. Doesn't look like they are going to get any rain tomorrow like they were supposed to, only warm temps. The airboats are trying to run the same paths to help smooth the ice out so people can get out on atvs & snowmobiles. Hope to make it up this weekend & give it a try.

phishyone1

• When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
    • View Profile
With that said, do you think others will be walking out of Catawba State Park this weekend safely? I'm getting the itch to get out there hearing the reports.. If I go, I'm just gonna walk the first time out for the season and leave the 4wheeler home.
Thank you,
Pete Sekerak (Phishyone1)

walleyeguyx

• View Profile
let me know i was planning on-walking out of catawba sunday me and a couple of buddies. I have walked out many of times long walk to catch fish but we usually get some hogs.

phishyone1

• View Profile
I would like to take the 4wheeler but without seeing the ice myself yet this season I think I'm gonna walk just to be safe... Walleyeguyx I think were going sun also. Maybe we could hook up if we do. Safety in numbers on the walk out... IS TAKING A QUAD A DUMB IDEA THIS SOON OR NO?
Thank you,

ledhed

• View Profile
There's no way I would attempt going out Sunday.If not the first,I'm usually one of the first out there.I've fished that area many years and you can go from 10"-2" in a matter of feet,seen it many times right off the state park.Once you get north of Catawba peninsula then you have current to deal with.One good thing about this warm up,it should smooth out the shove ice up against shore.Unless you're using an airboat, wait till it stiffens up,it's early yet.

EYELANDER75

• CLAM CORP EMPLOYEE
    • View Profile
i agree with ledhed just talked to my sister inlaw and too much shove ice up there along with the warm temps current west to east and sw winds up to 20 knts not good just be patient it wil happen!!!!!
THANKS ,
           VINCE

networthy

• View Profile
I talked to a buddy today that helps a guide out up there, they fished yesterday and did OK, but today had reports of water on the ice and quickly deteriorating conditions, he strongly advised against going out.  Just be patient, it's not far off.

g

• View Profile
heard from my buddie in marblehead there is about 1000 ft f open water now. the south wind got ahold of the ice and by by it went. a few people went about 200 yrds off mazuric today, probably for perch. hope the wind switches to from the north and blows the ice back in. then a few days of cold will lock it up again. perch, crappies & bluegills are being caught in the marinas - whites landing in sandusky bay is supposed to be the hot bite.

phishyone1

• View Profile
Thanks for all the replys! I wont be heading out tomorrow....
Thank you,

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I wouldn't say whites landing is hot! lol wonder what the perchin is like off mazuriks
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

mikeL

• View Profile
just wondering if there was anyone willing to take me and teach me a thing or to about the ice off mainland. this is of course when the ice gets better.
i have all the gear. just new to erie ice fishing.
thanks mike
Pro staff

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
I made it out Sunday from the State Park. Good Ice, bad report on the fish. Marks were not there, just a few perch but no eyes. Talked to about 15 guys who stopped by the shanty and only one guy had one walleye to show for his effort. Have faith! Better Days are ahead!
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

mikeL

• View Profile
sunday wasn't a very good day
Saturday the fish bight was good for me but not really anyone around was doing very good
jumpy really put us on the fish though. Everyone that we talked to out in the islands that where fishing couldn't believe what we caught.
Pro staff

phishyone1

• View Profile
Glad you got into em... Cause it was tough for us sat... We worked hard for the couple we got.. Cant wait to go back...
Thank you,

Vexilar