Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Houghton lake

fishinsam

• View Profile
Heading to houghton feb. 17th,18th,19th and possibly the 20th. Driving up from columbus have room for one more . If interested let me know.

Fishin 2

• View Profile
Wanna have  a little fun. While your fishin houghton lake, just a little north is higgins lake. They are famous for smelt, a very tasty little fish, might just say a fish fry !! These tasty little guys are the size of large shiners, some get 7-8 inches, very few there. Anyhow, if you have never tasted em, they are lighter tasting than perch, delicious. Simply cut their head off at gills, split their belly from anus to top, use your thumb to clean out, using a toothbrush, clean mud line of inside of backbone under running water. No need to remove any bones, they're so fine, they cook right up. Drop em in some drakes batter or a beer batter, deep fry, man, you'll love em. Sometimes a little hard to catch, but you can keep a gallon of em, that's alot.Bite is mostly best from around dark to wee hours of morning. These fish travel in very large schools and roam alot. If your interested, send me a pm and I'll give ya some more info. Also a great buffet place to eat west of Lymans, just ask em where its at, everyone knows this place. Mike
Take a Kid Fishing, You'll need the help Carrying Fish  !!

Vexilar