Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Fly Tying Jigs

crappiehunter

• View Profile
For years now I have been tying a few jigs either for fly fishing or crappie fishing and this year I was wondering if anybody makes their own ice jigs. just curious to see what everyone tries and if you have any jigs you've made for spring crappie I would appreciate some tips  ;D

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I used to make all my jigs, bobbers and plastic tails.  I made my own molds for tails and would melt the plastic in a pot, pour it into a mold to make sticks and then use the sticks in a glue gun to inject in the molds. The jigs I bought molds from Do-It and pour my own lead heads , ice jigs, I bought my blades from Janns Sport and would solder whatever size hooks on. I used powder paint to finish them. Bobbers I  sanded balsa sticks on a lathe to make the size of bobbers I wanted and paint them blaze orange. I started getting so many request for the baits and bobbers that it turned into work and not a hobby  and just lost interest in making my own stuff. But you know  it always felt great to catch fish on all your own baits .

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I make some of mine. I have a lure making workshop over my garage. Fortunately is heated.  ;D  I make all sorts of flies and jigs up there. Have the molds and everything, although this year I haven't had the time to make much. It is really cool to catch fish on your own stuff. I'll post a pic later of some of it.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
j t you know i tie my own stuff,i showed you some of my steelhead streamers,when i see you on the ice again i'll show you the panfish jigs,nothing fancy. :D
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
Been making Jigs, spinners, worm harneses, own version of supper duppers, as well as fix and repair lures an baits I find along banks. by replacing hooks eyes etc. Very rewarding saving money and having fun in off hours. The imagination helps to make different baits. and it is so much excitement when you catch fish on somthing you design or make. I have made  some designs that don't work as well as invisioned, so its back to the drawing board to improve upon those. lol! 

Vexilar