Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Whats going on?

fishsee5

• View Profile
I've put in 15+ hours the last 2 days on the ice and have had little to no success. I threw everything I had and tried every technique and nothing. Everyone I talked to seem to be having the same results. I fished all over Northeast Ohio. Went to Berlin, Milton, Deer Creek, Mosquito, and Pymatuning. Any one else experiencing the same results or is it just me?

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
It was a bad weekend for the big lake but I did catch fish inland. Did you follow the groups of people?
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
During the ice fishing season i have noticed that early ice and late ice is the best time. It seems like there is a lull in action in the middle of ice season. I have noticed that during this lull i will move to deeper water and find them again.

Also, there has been a lot of fronts coming through and seems to have an effect on the fish.

Would like to hear what others try during this lull.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Sunday 1/19 I got skunked at Nimisila again, but Monday 1/20 I came home with my best day of the season sofar: 22 Gills, 3 Perch & 8 Crappie.

Go Figure, b/c I can't other than weather patterns.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I also have noticed the lull in action mid ice, mosquito was really sad last sat, just a bunch of dink perch.. :-\   its off and on.. I have noticed the fish moving around a lot  seems if you can get in there circle then it gets fast when they move past ya....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
This time of year you need to find live weeds and clearer water. Scout out new spots that are out a little deeper during midice. The shallow weeds will start to die off now due to lack of light. The ice is turning milky combined with shorter days leads to shallow weed die off. When the weeds die the oxygen dissipates and the fish move out deeper where there's more oxygen and deeper water. Search for the crappie and bull bluegill out a little deeper where the weeds are greener. If you were getting fish in the 5-6' range (such as C-5 at Nimi), now you'll need to back out and fish a little deeper, say the 6-10' range. Where you find cleaner water and green weeds you'll find the panfish. This may mean searching out a new spot that you've never fished before.  Look at lake maps and put together a good game plan and you'll be back on the fish!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

steelneyes

• View Profile
A couple things to add.  I haven't had a good morning bite yet.  2-3 pm until dark has been great.  On Sun. I had 2 keepers from 9AM til 2PM, got 25 from 3PM-5PM.  So it can turn in a few miuntes.  That was also after a 50 yard move into water 8 ft deep instead of 9. As IBJ posted above, he went from blank to best day of the year in the same area.  The fish were there the whole time, just not under the holes we were fishing, and not wanting to bite until it was their feeding time.
 It has been miserable cold and impossibly windy but keep on the move.  If nothing is marking on your electronics, move again.  There are still aggressive fish, but the crowds have begun to pressure them where then ice has stayed safe.  The early ice fish that come shooting up 5-10 feet to hit a bait are requiring a little finesse.  Or they have already left the lake in a 5 gallon pail. 
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

Vexilar