Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ice observation sun

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
well friends hit up a small lake with my buds sun. since I fished this lake last week I really expected to see thicker ice with those frigid temps, but the opposite was true. there is snow cover on the ice maybe 3 inches and the ice was shrinking in thickness. when I drilled first hole I was surprised too see only 4 -5, it was thinner than before, and there were some semi wet soft spots in places. now we know the snow insulates the ice and retards its growth but crap its evaporating. so don't fall into the illusion that its super cold and you think there should be good ice but   not   ....just my observation   be careful it may not be what it seems.......
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I saw the same thing in some areas of Deer Creek on Friday.  I’m going to try somewhere tomorrow morning, but with this storm, I don’t know how the ice will fare........
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Some on Indian Lake, most would think the ice is 10-12" but out in front of Blackhawk yesterday I measured 6.5"

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yea  its raining here in the falls and stuff is melting down , but colder temps at night should keep ice for couple more days,  but  after the 53 deg  should be really wet wed, but then back below freezing . I thought about goin tomm  but don't know where yet. got any ideas ? 

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I’m open too. Going tomorrow morning as well. Can fish till noon or so.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
ya know I think I may have a spot on nimi that could be fun. its a whiskered wally spot   lol what time ya goin somewhere.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Probably 88:30.  Have to stop by the office first.  I’ll text you when I’m done.  Still same number?

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
 ok  ;D

Vexilar