Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ice anchors?

Guest · 10 · 5375

raven44875

does anybody use ice anchors?i recently bought a pop up shanty and got to use it for the first time yesterday.it was kind of windy yesterday and i used the anchors that came with the shanty and they were hard to get in the ice.is there a easier way to get these things in.i thought about rigging up something with my cordless drill.or maybe just drilling some pilot holes.hoping to get some ideas.thanks everyone.

Showdown

• View Profile

raven44875

thank you that will be a nice tool to have.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
hey i think youll enjoy your pop up once ya get used to it,i have an eskimo pop up and the screws are built like a tee handle they really dig in pretty well yeah i was out on wingfoot sat and the wind was goin pretty good cant say it wasnt rough getting set up by myself i learned to tie a rope to my shanty and hook it to my belt because i chased that rascal accross the lake last year...
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

mousejam515

• View Profile
i have a clam 2000 and when there was no snow it was a sailboat. I just bought some 6 inch lag bolts and drilled a few holes in the floor of the shanty. and if its going to be windy i take the cordless drill along and zip them right in.

James

bruce136

• View Profile
 What kind of shanty did you buy? We have an Eskimo and the anchors that come with it screw into the ice pretty easily.
 If I were you, I would see about getting some of those anchors. If you go to the Eskimo website, you can actually get the anchors cheaper than anywhere else I have found.

raven44875

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
Doug stewart uses a method of a rope with a 14 inch aluminum tube tied to one end and he has those mountain clips attached to the other for a quick snap on and snap off. He drills a hole and places the tube in the hole. Then he attaches the other end to the shanty. This is for a permanent shanty but i think it might work for the tent if you make it tight when tying off on the shanty and doing the same on all 4 sides.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

bruce136

• View Profile
The Eskimo anchors are very pointy. They go in the ice with little pressure. They thread out super easy too.

mikeL

• View Profile
you must have a clam cause their anchors are the hard ones to use. sugest buying some eskimo ice anchors thats what i did for my clam thermal
Pro staff

Vexilar