Ice Fish Ohio Forum

What do you wear on the ice?

Minnowhead

• View Profile
Arctic Armor, Stormy Kromer and Mickey boots.
Throwing ice cubes in the lake all summer long!

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Buoy-O-Boy floatation suit, woolrich wool hat with ear flaps, Boundry Red Ball boots which I have had for like 10 years and zipped cold cutter screws into the bottom of them.  The gloves always change I just cant find a pair that keeps your hands warm.  The HT rubber outside and furry inside mittens work great but just can't find gloves that are above the rest.  I always multiple layer lightly under the floatation suit and have never gotten cold in sub zero temps.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:01:04 AM by futurestrader »
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Bryan

• View Profile
Mickey Mouse boots, Carhardt bibs, sweater, jacket, hat and gloves.
Captain Bryan Oetting
Middle Bass Island Ohio
Lake Erie

Otter's island water taxi

perchguy

• View Profile
Blue icearmor,2000 thinsulate boots.I stay warm all I use for heat in shanty is Coleman lantern.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
My clothes are from LL Bean.  I have a full length 1-piece windproof/waterproof thinsulate suit.  It's very warm and has a hood.  Under that I wear normal clothes I wear everyday.  If it's first or last ice, I'll wear a pair of SOSpenders over the suit for safety.  The suit is so warm often I unzip it partway so I don't sweat.  The hat varies, I take 2.  It'll either be a heavy ball hat, or some kind of stocking cap/ski mask, depending on temps.  I keep both hats in the shanty.  Boots are also LL Bean thinsulate and waterproof up to just below the knee, very warm, my feet are never cold.  The gloves I use my wife found for me at JCPenney, don't know what brand they are, but they're totally waterproof, very warm, and thin enough to fish in.  Can't wait to use my stuff on the ice.  I'm loking at it right now!! :'(
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Mustang Suit MS2175 with a pair of insulated jeans. Then on top I wear a cabelas expedition weight thermal and a LL Bean Classic Flannel and never ever get cold even bucket fishing in the wind. Sometimes in the shanty I find myself unzipping to cool off!
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Usually the first two body parts to start causing discomfort are your feet and hands. Technically your head too. I use a bomber hat to get to the spot but like the others usually slip on a lighter hat once in my shanty

Boots- gotta go to Army surplus and get the Mickey Mouse Boots. The military made the best boots here and people who have been on the ice long enough eventually succom to these unfashionable but extremly warm boots as there is no comparison. Several times I have had to take them off because my feet felt like they were on fire! Cold feet will end a day on the ice real quick

Hands- I have not successfully found a way to wear gloves and ice fish. Sure to bring your gear out to the whole and drill etc yes- but once you are tying knots and baiting and re rigging etc. even the gloves that keep your fingers exposed prevent me from working as fast with my hands. Some people just slip on gloves for jiggin when lines are in the water and take them off when re rigging-seems like a lot of work so I usually just put my hand in my pockets when I am not using them.

Pockets- Any of the Ice Fishing suits out there work in Ohio....heck the ones that are 300-400 are too wamr for most of our conditions :) I literally put the Ice Armor Grey suit back on the rack because I knew I would be sweating on the ice! Blue Suit works very nicely for me...lots of pockets for gear.

Base Layer rules- no cotton stick with that rule and you will be fine!
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

erierider

• Global Moderator
  • I have a Chubby!
    • View Profile
Mustang Suit MS2175, Insulated Jeans, LL Bean Flannel with cabelas expedition weight thermal underneath. I can ice fish on a bucket in the teens with some heavy wind and many times when I go back in the shanty find myself unzipping to cool off.
Ice Fish Ohio
Pro Staff
Team Dreamweaver Spoons
Orange Crush Reef Runner Troller

Vexilar