Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Hand Auger Comparisons

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've owned Mora & Strikemaster Lazer Hand Augers for years. Last year I got to try an Eskimo.  Last week, I tried a Nils. By far, the best is the Nils Auger. The 8" Nils put my 8" Lazer to shame. Looks like I'm gonna take the plunge & get a Nils. 

Anybody else have  a Nils and want to comment?
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

g

• View Profile
Have never tried or seen a Nils. Have a Lazer now but did have a Mora before that. Both will get the job done. I mostly use my gas auger now. A little more weight to haul, but worth it.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
what makes nils different ?      put a motor on it and it will drill heheh ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
John,

I have to totally agree with you on the Nils. I've tried them all and they don't cut as well as the Nils. They all wore me out after drilling 20- 40 holes but not this little gem.

Don't even use the gas auger anymore, they are nice for speed but don't like messing with the gas and extra weight.

My auger is a six inch and is even easier than an eight, plus the bigger fish can't turn around in the 6.

Take the plunge and good luck!
IceHole

Suttalo

• Suttalo
    • View Profile
I broke down and bought a 6 inch nils convertible hand auger as soon as they came back in stock in August. They are well worth the money and cut through the ice  like butter.
Some pretty good videos on YouTube showing how they work. You can  the handle or one wing nut takes it of and hook it up to an 18 V cordless drill and then just stand back and watch it eat ice. Only auger I will ever own again.
"The spirit of the bow dwells in the hearts of all young men."

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I've never owned a nils, I have Strikemaster augers. Had mora and lazer both. But I did drill with a nils one time. It was by far the fastest and easiest auger I've ever drilled with. I love my gas, because of my torn rotator cuff, but if I had to drill by hand all the time I'd buy a nils hands down!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Picked up a nils 8 last year and it's all I will ever use. Blade and handle does all the work and now down pressure. Worth the extra costs.

Suttalo

• Suttalo
    • View Profile
John
I made a short video and emailed it to you of my nils convertible with 18v drill. Hopefully you can view it. Not sure how to or if we are able to post videos here on IFO? If any one else would like to watch let me know and I can send it. It's on my iPhone and yahoo.
Rnjoy

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Suttalo:

Saw the vid.  Looks lilke I'll be breaking out my wallet and getting a 6" Nils... Most likely the end of this season since most suppliers out out of the 6' and only have the 4.5 & 8" available now.  Not sure of the convertible unit. Will have to give it some thought.  What did you purchase to convert it to your drill?
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Suttalo

• Suttalo
    • View Profile
Nothing needed, except a drill. Minimum 640 in lbs of torque. I have a Hitachi 18v brushless motor so you don't burn it up. Remove One wing nut and washer and handle comes off. Nils put machined and welded hex head. Just us drill chuck on it and go. I called nils, very helpful in drills to use and specs. There is nothing to it.

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Great info Sut... thanks.

Vexilar