Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Underwater camera

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
which under water camera do you prefer, marcum or the Aqua vu , I have the old Aqua vu quad camera with bw screen and I thought it was nearly as close to useless as possible , especially if the water was stained.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
It's somewhat of a ford chevy thing. I like the aqua-vu micro. It fits in a jacket pocket and is color, so you can see green vs brown weeds. And it's super portable and easy to use.
That said, I'm not that familiar with marcum. I've talked to guys on the ice that love them. I would get another micro in a heartbeat, but talk with guys that have marcum also and do a comparison of the features with what you want in a camera then you can make the best choice for you. I move a lot without my shanty, I'll leave it close by but carry my auger, Vex, and a rod and venture 100 yards away. I can put spikes in one pocket of my Clam lift suit and camera in the other.  Then I can see species and weed conditions as well as bottom composition in more detail than on the flasher.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Good points Joel.  I too have an Aqua Vu Micro.  Only used it a few times last season. Hope to give it a really good work out this season. Of the 2x I've been out, I haven't gotten it out yet.

We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Downthehole

• View Profile
An underwater camera is probably one of those items that is difficult to get a user comparison on since there will only be few people out there who have more than one make/model. I recently bought the Marcum Recon 5+ and haven't used it on the ice yet. I like the camera, fits in my pocket, good picture quality, color or bw etc.

I researched the aqua-vu mini and recon 5+ and there was little difference between them. A few reviews noted some build quality and "blue-screening" with the aqua-vu however; they were older reviews.

I would recommend finding someone on the ice with one and take a look...

Andy
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes. There was a blue screen problem with some of the older aqua-vu models. I had one and the company sent a new one at no charge. That problem is rectified by the new models. No problems with mine for 2 years.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar