Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Tips For Targeting Large Mouth Bass

Dave_E · 3 · 2300

Dave_E

• View Profile
I'm a catch and release guy, even with pan fish.

I want to target large mouths under the ice.  Other than finding weeds, what tips do you have to specifically pursue them?

Baits, depths, structure, gear, etc....

Thanks.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Ok, so I’ll try not to go on too much. I love bass fishing, what I mostly do.  

I’ll start with gear: I use a 3’6” medium to medium heavy longer rod with an inline (Black Betty) reel spooled with 4 pound fluorocarbon.  Although I’ve gotten a 6 pounder on the ice with an ultralight bluegill rod and 1 pound test.  Keys are a good drag and trying to keep the line from any sharp edges around the hole.

Depths and structure are related:  not to oversimplify, but they don’t move a whole lot from summer areas in winter.  Where you find them in summer will typically mirror now. I usually find them in deep trees, green weeds, deep permanent docks, rock piles, etc.  I drop a camera down and can watch them, they can be more active than you’d ever think!  Typically from 6-18 feet is where I target thru the ice. The bigger ones worth catching will often be around bluegill and crappie.

As for baits: this is often the most open ended and comes down to trial and error.  Crappie size baits have been best for me. Spoons and large tungsten rain drop styles. I don’t tip with minnows, I’ve found waxies for bass work much better.  At least where I fish anyway. And color varies, they were tearing up a firetiger #5 tungsten last week but ignored it today.  They only wanted a #5 silver tungsten today.  

Best advice I can offer is trial and error.  I do catch and release as well, and bass on ice are a blast!!  Worth the effort to pin them down.  

Anything else, please add on. Helps us all be better fishermen!  Pic was from PLX today.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:17:26 PM by slabslayer »
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
3/16 oz. vibes and #2 or # 3 jigging raps tipped with wax worms work too.

Vexilar