Ice Fish Ohio Forum

2011-2012 PLK's Preseason Ice Fishing Observations

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Just a few thoughts while we wait for safe ice:

Late ice is already a negative factor for this season ice fishing.

The record, high amount of precipitation this year is yielding higher water levels along with cloudier water conditions.  The fish have been gourging on an ample food supply all year long.  (Growth rates should be good, but I'm concerned whether first ice fish will be in an aggressive mode or neutral feeding mode).

The fish are more likely to be scatterd and less schooled up.

The invasion of the ZEBRA MUSSELS the last few years actually cleared the waters of Portage Lakes and I found myself ice fishing with colors such as black, blue & purple and less flor orange & chartuese.  (Think the "hot colors" were actually spooking the fish).

Think this year's weather & water conditions may cause me to revert my pin-min colors to the hot colors once again and away from the subtle colors used the past few years.  WE'LL SEE.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:04:06 PM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Interesting observations.  Noticed the same thing for these lakes this fall.  Same thing with Deer Creek up in Alliance.  Water everywhere I fished this fall was higher and much more stained than normal.  With the recent rains, I think this trend will carry over to first ice.  We'll probably be adjusting our presentations and color choices across the board in NE Ohio as we start the ice season.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar