Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Advice for eyes on erie

eyeassassin

• View Profile
So i am new to these post.  i have belonged to fishusa for awhile but i need some information on going for eyes through the ice on erie.  i am planning on hopefully (weather permitting) going up at the end of jan.  i am going to stay at the hotel in put in bay for 3 days.  so i have never fished the western basin through the ice, and i have no idea where to go to try and target some eyes.  I know i could just make my way to where i see the most ppl in a general area.  also is it possible to walk from the bay to any good fishing.  any information you can give i will be very thankful for.  I also know that there are guides but i really dont like to use other ppls stuff.  and with the price of the hotel for 3 days adding on a guide is something my old lady might not go for
good luck and be safe

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You might ask my friend ohiofisher19... His name is Jonny Fickert and he and his farther fish the western basin more than anybody else I know. Another good resource is Carl Bachtle, he's Big Daddy on the site. Another NW Ohio angler with a good reputation.

Swedish Pimples are a mainstay in every Walleye anglers box, as well as Vib'e's and the new Lindy Darters are a good investment as well!

Good Luck!
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Yup it should freeze up good, make sure you keep your fingers crossed.
I've been seeing some nut cases go out already and the bay has had a few shanties on it.

IMO I think you should skip the bay and stay on the mainland although your crowds will be more. The bay seems to have a little bigger fish with a bit smaller crowds but it is way more hit and miss and way less numbers. Sweedish pimples and jiggin raps are the way to go and finding a spot is something that you need day to day experience basically. good luck!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

eyeassassin

• View Profile
so if i stay on the main land do i need to get a guide and can i walk to where the fish might be.  i am fine on any frozen lake i have ever been on but after some of the things you read about "the big pond" it make you alittle uneasy.  I am sorry i have to ask so many questions on this subject but i want to make sure that my trip is safe and hopefully successful

Bigpapa

• View Profile
Wait til closer to your trip before you buy tackle, it changes by the week on the big water. If your doing this trip for the first time, I highly recommend you contact a local guide or one of the guys on this site with experience. The lake is no joke, disrespect her and she'll kill you in a split second. If you stay on the mainland, there is always somebody willing to take you out and drop you off, just make sure you get picked back up ;D.

walleye bonker

• View Profile
New to the web site but not to the Island walleye fishing.  Make sure you have plenty of minnows, since it is tough to buy a minnow on the Island.

This is my first post, so it is kind of a test, also.

g

• View Profile
Size 5 sweedish pimples in prism blue,prism green, or orange work good. Jigging rapalas in size 5 & jigging shads in perch, blue & silver & chartruse will work. Also the bigger vibes catch fish. Colors change from day to day & throughout the day. Gold, orange, blue or green are always good colors.There are airboats & snowmobiles that charge to take you out from the mainland & bring you back or you can walk usually a mile or two. Be safe & have fun.

turkeyneck003

• View Profile
Check with Jeff at Buckeye Fishing Charters he is selling minnows at the Put-In-Bay airport this year.....
Gaff its not just for chicken...

jumpy

• View Profile
    • www.buckeyefishingcharters.com
www.buckeyefishingcharters.com  prices include lodging and warm shanty,bait and a ride in and out. Plus guide services.
If you jig it they will come!

eyeassassin

• View Profile

Vexilar