Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Check All Your Ice Gear & Equip B4 Hitting the ICE

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yeah, the ICE TACKLE has been ready for a few weeks. Yesterday & today I spent the day checking, cleaning & firing up the COLEMAN LANTERNS, MR BUDDY HEATER, Auger Blade check/sharpening/replacemement and my Vex STE. Mods & improvements have been done to the shanty.

I looked at The Mr. Buddy Heater MAINTENANCE VIDEO and decided to give it a good cleaning. Per the vid, I soaked a Q-Tip in alcohol and swabbed the fuel tube. Unfortunately, the cotton tip came off in the tube while swabbing., subsequently plugging up the fuel feed tube. I tried to "burn it out" with a propane torch. Nada., No Luck. Finally I took the unit apart in order to retrieve the small, cotton tip that was plugging up the works. Put it back together and it fired up immediately. (NEXT TIME I'LL USE A PIPE CLEANER INSTEAD OF A Q-TIP).

READY FOR ICE.

Don't wait till the last minute to do your gear maintenance.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Good idea!!  I did all that and started the auger last week!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
As much as I hate to say it: I'd even hit Old State Park (Portage Lakes) if it's the first ice. 

Keeping my fingers crossed to have ice between xmas & new years.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Been going through all my gear for the last 20 months. lol. Had the gas auger running over the weekend. Finished taking the bench seat out of my otter flip over shanty to lighten it up and installed a nice light weight high back swivel boat seat so my bad back wont end any days out early. Just need to mount my battery brackets in the sled for my LED lighting and minnow bucket aerator. I do need to get a new battery for my Marcum but other then that I think im ready. Im still working on a few projects to make my sled more organized but they dont need to be done to get on the ice. I have already installed the hyfax runners on the sled but would like to come up with a good way mount skis on my otter flipover shanty to pick the whole sled up off the ice about 12 inchs for the long drags across deep snow. I want them to either slide thru a bracket or on a hinge as I want it attached to the sled but want to be able to put them up and out of the way when im at my spot our not moving to far. Any good ideas out there that you guys have done?
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm trying to come up with a similar idea.  I'm thinking some kind of aluminum frame on skis that I can either slide my shanty into or lift it up and in.  The aluminum won't add that much extra weight while dragging.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
I was thinking of using metal electrical conduit. It would be light weight yet study enough to hold all the weight of the sled and gear

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That would be good too, and I have some of that.

Team Wilcraft!

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Here's a fold-down Smitty I saw on the web: It might give ya an idea or two in designing yours.

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Thanks for the pic. I like the storage tubes underneath for storage and and top rack for the rest. I would like to build one like that for when I take my clam hub out.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
hey guys try using an old walker. there alum and this is the hybrid of such..i can store all my equip inside the plastic container that fits inside the frame and the pop up rests on top with my auger and stuff....here are some pics ....i will spin up some pics of the newest upgrade when i can ....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Cool idea! :D

Team Wilcraft!

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
Any sled you build make sure the skis are six inches or more between the sled and snow.  That way the snow can go under without dragging a snowplow out there.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Right!! :P

Team Wilcraft!

zoeconner

• View Profile
    • QuickFishTipUp
This wild be my ice ride for next season. The best thing is it already has a sled built in lol.
The first tip up that can be fished on ice and land.

www.quickfishtipup.com

Vexilar