Ice Fish Ohio Forum

hard to tune in

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I bought the lowrance elite4 at the end of last ice season and never had a chance to tune it in, so this year I thought I would have ample time to get it hooked up the right way. Unfortunately I ran out of time this season just when I was or thought I had it down. The thing I don't like about the lowrance is that they didn't provide a dvd to aide in the setup, I'm not one to sit down and read the manual and tinker with a product. I called their help line and they said everything I needed to know was already on youtube.....which is not totally true, for the amount you pay, they should at least drop a dvd in the box!

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Id just take it out to a dock with a rod and a few lures and mess with it. That way you're not worried about catching fish like when you are on the ice. Not gonna be much else to do the next few weeks anyway. I've tried using the flasher screen on mine but I just can't get used to it. I stick with the graph. The thing I've found with mine is I have to continually tinker with the settings. Not much but I'll adjust the sensitivity according to depth, structure, etc. Otherwise I don't always have the detail I want. Honestly the unit is OK, but there is def room for improvement. Much better in shallow water than deep. You can use it in deep water but with the small jigs I usually use sometimes it's hard to see my jig without jacking up the sensitivity and then it can be too cluttered. And for some reason I have a hard time picking up smaller spoons.I've never used a flasher so I can't compare but overall I'm pretty happy with it. It does what I need it to for hard and soft water fishing for only a few hundred bucks. And I catch just as many fish as guys with flashers.

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I'll probably do that as far as trying to fish off the docks, but I'm definitely not impressed with the lowrance 4 , too much adjusting especially when you change depths. When I go to north fork I like to drill from the flats to the main river just to see where the fish might be holding , there was always a bunch of clutter on the screen , with the vex you can just drop and go with little or no clutter . It might be a learning curve for me though

Vexilar