Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Nimisila 1-24

Lukin285

• View Profile
I headed out friday afternoon around 1:00 from the boat ramp on s.main.  I ventured south toward the sun thinking maybe it would be slighty warmer. That was my first mistake of the day. It was blowing snow sideways and up...but mostly up. I would almost say that it was blowing snow sideways and up 'to beat the band'. But I'm not the type to say anything was doing something 'to beat the band'.

I had a borrowed shanty(that I never used or seen before),  saftey gear, auger, electronics, three ice rods each with a different offering that I personally tied on the line with equal amounts love and high hopes. I had hand warmers, toe warmers, snacks, drinks, buckets, sled etc.  One thing I did not have was a way to anchor the shanty. While I was jumping on the shanty to fold it up I was trying to figure out if this was a polar vortex or just a good old fashioned cold front.

I did get a single perch to open his mouth before me and the shanty got blow away from the south. Lesson learned.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:50:57 AM by Lukin285 »

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Welcome to the ice... Not all days are like that, next one will be better.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yep, it will. Next time you'll have shanty anchors!  ;D  I never leave home without em. Also a mini collapsible snow shovel, like the kind for vehicle emergencies from Walmart, is great to have so you can weigh down your shanty flaps with snow and that way snow/wind won't blow in under your shanty.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yeah the wind was howling so bad it bent one of my anchors. never leave without them  ;D ;D  and since you mentioned a mini shovel slab its going on the sled nowadays   hehehehe :-X
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Lukin285

• View Profile
 Wind or no wind from now on my motto is no anchor = no shanty. Good call on the shovel too. It make life a whole lot easier in this deeper snow.

Vexilar