Ice Fish Ohio Forum

THIEVES

FreezyP · 13 · 8364

FreezyP

• View Profile
Went out to Nimi last night about 5pm north end behind pizza shop and talked to a few fellas who were out already,  turned my back for one minute while i got my shanty set up and the stole my minnow bucket with aerator,  the total cost of items was $30 or so but they even took my minnows!   They were driving a White work van with no signs or logos or windows!  keep an eye on your stuff i guess you never know!!!!!

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
That makes two in a few days in that area, wish there was something we could do about those sons of bitches... Gonna go back to carrying my Louisville slugger in the truck cab.

fishingful

• View Profile
Its that parking area. Its right on the main road. When I fished there were random people pulling in the lot and just looking around and since its down over the hill you cant see your truck its a prime spot to grab something just laying in the back of a truck.

Main Street is also the boarder of Green and New Franklin. Summit county Sheriff in Green and New Franklin has a small police department. One of the main reasons there has been issues out at Nimi.

wis2ohio

• View Profile
SO are you suggesting to not have anything visible in your vehicle while you are not close to them and also possibly carrying a loaded weapon in this area??

Also how will this effect the tournament?

trapperjon

• View Profile
WOW !!!!!! that's just down right low.  >:(  time for a sting operation. of course im not suggesting that you take the law into your own hands. BUT.... accidents do happen to thieves,  ;D

Icetester

• View Profile
Damn. Sorry about the loss. I'll take it that you took your shanty and other items on the ice, leaving only your minnow bucket behind to go set everything up, then return for your bucket?
Then as you turned back you saw them (the guy in the van) drive away and your bucket was gone? That is crazy timing or they were scoping out from some close area. If all the past few days stories are correct, then this is going to continue and end up getting ugly.

It's small value items at this point, for this to happen as often as it has, guys really need to be on their toes. Lots of questions right now. An honest bait and watch just to get plates might be in order, you need to watch the watchers, then report them, even 911(People call over under cooked fillet O fish) then hopefully they catch them on the road with the stolen items. IDK, but somebody needs an a$$ whippin.

FreezyP

• View Profile
Im definitely gonna keep a better eye out!  i agree with the fisherman justice! haha!!  keep an eye on your stuff fellas!  good luck out there!! 

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
A quick dip through thin ice and a long walk should get the thieves attention about messing with an ice fisherman's gear ;D
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

fishingful

• View Profile
SO are you suggesting to not have anything visible in your vehicle while you are not close to them and also possibly carrying a loaded weapon in this area??

Also how will this effect the tournament?

The not having anything visible is just standard now a days. I wory that I may come back and not have a trailer sometimes. Even if it is locked to the truck.

If you have the CCW license I don't know why you wouldent carry. But l am not saying its that dangerous.

There is a gas station and a bar with a big lot within sight distance of the pull off and the fishermen have to go up over the hill and out of sight of their trucks. I would not leave anything valuable laying in the bed. There are people that will take advantage.

Lost a set of ramps at Catawba that way now after we unload we pull the truck on top of the ramps so no one steals them.

plantguy

• View Profile
A few years back I came back to my minivan and somebody had siphoned most of the gas out of the tank. Just made it to gas station.  Crime on the ice and every place is common now days. I don't trust anybody when I am out. I'll be civil enough but I keep an eye on anybody that comes close.  All the school and mall shootings Hope some nut does not decide to start hunting Ice Fishermen.  I am more afraid of somebody popping me off from 500yrds than going thru the ice. AND THAT IS NO JOKE

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
That's awful and why i take everything with me if it takes two trips out on my own.  Stops the nonsense
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Icetester

• View Profile
A few years back I came back to my minivan and somebody had siphoned most of the gas out of the tank. Just made it to gas station.  Crime on the ice and every place is common now days. I don't trust anybody when I am out. I'll be civil enough but I keep an eye on anybody that comes close.  All the school and mall shootings Hope some nut does not decide to start hunting Ice Fishermen.  I am more afraid of somebody popping me off from 500yrds than going thru the ice. AND THAT IS NO JOKE

That's why I rope a dope and stick n move to and from my spots ;D ;D ;D

plantguy

• View Profile
As I think about this more I am going to paint all my gear white. Maybe a leaf blower to cover my tracks.

Vexilar