Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Modern hard-water fishing vs. old-school ice angling

Fisnfool

• View Profile
For those that say my Lowrance Bluewater LFP 160 is old technology, here is the old way to fish the hard water.  Interesting article.

http://www.outdoornews.com/December-2014/Deep-thinking-Modern-hard-water-fishing-vs-old-school-ice-angling/
When fish are in schools, they sometimes take debate.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Technically flashers aren't modern either the technology has been around since the late 90s even before then with some experimental models and it hasn't technically changed too much since the late 90s
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Luvztaphish

• Please help keep our waterways clean .
    • View Profile
The Flasher has been around way before the 90s . Lowrance " little green box " . 

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
1957 I stand corrected
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

steelneyes

• View Profile
Sounds like a grumpy old man article.  Fact is if you go back even 80 or 100 years, my grandparents were working in the coal mines at age 11, 6 days a week and spent Sundays digging through the tailings to get enough coal to keep the stove going through the next week.  Hardly enough time to ice fish as recreation.

We do enjoy modern convenience, no one makes their own mocassins before going out to hike through a forest so dense you can't see 50 yards or hunts deer with a spear.   

If the technology makes for a better experience than so be it.  If you choose not to use it, more power to you.  The most important part to me is that by participating and growing the interest in the outdoors, we are more likely to preserve what we have for future generations. 

If ice fishing with a flasher reminds a kid of playing a video game and that leads to them having a relationship with the outdoors, then I say give them all flashers!

Maybe the guy should have printed his article on parchment or better yet written it with a quill pen and handed it to the town crier instead of posting it on his web blog.
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

Fisnfool

• View Profile

steelneyes,

I tried shouting out the info, but blew out a lung before I could get loud enough to reach you.  So I cheated and posted the topic.  ;D

When fish are in schools, they sometimes take debate.

g

• View Profile
I've always said my Vex was my outdoor video game. I use it all year and love it. It is the only video game I play.

Vexilar