Ice Fish Ohio Forum

How Many ICE RODS to you have?

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
AND HOW MANY DO YOU TAKE OUT ON THE ICE AT ONE TIME?

I have 9 rods, but normally take 3 or 4. It really depends on target species and how long I plan on fishing. If it's simply an after-work outing, I'll take 1 or 2. If it's an all day outing, then I'll take more.

4 Gill Rods
3 Perch/Crappie Rods
2 Walleye

(I'm not counting my old "deadstick, hand-line rods" of decades ago that are hanging from the basement ceiling).... Or my Tip-Ups.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:06:46 PM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

HardWater Junkie

• View Profile
    • Hale's Sinker Supply
Well I'm a firm believer in one can not have to many. In total I have 4 walleye rods and 21 panfish rods. On a normal day I carry 2 walleye rods. I rig the one with a vibe and the other one with a salmo darter or lindy darter. Even if I'm fishing where there are no walleye or saugeye i will run these rods when the bite gets tough. I will downsize the panfish rod to as small of a jig as I can and start working the vibe or darter pretty hard. That seems to call in the panfish in and turn them on to my small jig. Sometimes you will get a bonus big bass or catfish. As for the panfish rods I normally take 6 out with me along with the 2 walleye rods. I run the six normally with a standard swedish pimple on 1. A swedish pimple or kastmaster with a 6 to 12 inch dropper line on the second. A jammin jigs glow tiger jig on the third. A jammin jigs glow bobber fry on the forth. A small jiggin rap or jiggin shad rap on the fifth and the sixth being set up as a dead stick. I know this all seems like over kill but I run different size lines on them. I normally run 2 panfish rods with 1 lb. test. 2 more at 2 lb. test and 1 each at 3 and 4 lb. test. I just picked up some 8 oz. test line made by asso that i bought from yourbobbersdown.com that I'm going to replace the 4 lb with. the key that I have found to carrying so many rods is organization. when I go somewhere for the first time at a new lake or am fishing a tourney I may bring even more rods all with different jigs and lures. I hate rerigging on the ice. This year I am taking some of the spinning reels off the panfish rods and going to schooley and small fly reels to counter the line twist caused by the spinning reels on the rods i run with the really small jigs.
Tim Smith (HardWaterJunkie)

Check out www.HalesSinkerSupply.com for all of your fishing sinker needs. Over 15 different types of sinkers and jigs in sizes from 1/100oz. to 4 lb. Make sure to ask about our custom built rods. From ice-fishing to off-shore we build them all. Message me for quotes

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I have 8 rods and six tip ups, my rods range from ultra light to med. heavy, aw 9 if u count my sons schooly (which has been held in my hand many times to bring back the thoughts of fishing with my grandfather as a kid ). Alot of the time when I'm fishn for eyes I will switch to panfish during the mid day, so I always have all my rods with me. I try to keep a verity of line on my reels also, 1lb up to six lb. I always try to set out my tip ups, in my eyes thats an extra six lines in the water, why not?
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I only use 1 rod and outfish CRV most of the time. ;D
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
Umm inside my office right now about 35 or so. I have some more in the shed not sure how many ;D I know I have a sickness

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

Walleye_Wacker

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
About 30, I've lost count, I have the same sickness as OIM.  3 for walleye, 2 heavy ones for muskie, and the rest for panfish.  Some rigged for perch, crappie, and bluegill.  Depending what I'm going for any given day, normally I have 10 with me on the ice.  I don't like to change lures, I'd rather grab another rod, same when I'm boat fishing.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
I have a bunch but only carry about 6 or so on the ice.  2 rigged for saugeye or walleye and 4 rigged for pan fish.  I am getting ready to spool all of them back up with fresh line for the season.  Probably will start with 1lb up to 8 for my heavy rods.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I've got about a dozen use three with regularity!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

OIM

• Manager of Retail Operations with Sportsmen's Dire
    • View Profile
    • Sportsmen's Direct
I take 6 to 20 rods with out on the ice.I match the rods to the lures and the technique I am fishing.

Now when I fished tournaments it depends on the fish and the lake I once had 24 sight rods rigged all with different color combos on them. All rigged and ready no need to retie that day, or so I thought lol

36072 Jefferson Ave
Harrison Twp, Mi 48045
In the heart of the action on Lake St. Clair

Vexilar