Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice Fishing Outerwear: Parka & Bibs.... Makes, Models, Q's

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Finally taking a serious look at ice fishing outerwear.  I'll certainly give Ice Armor a serious look since they are a sponsor on this website. (I like the features of the Gray/Black Model)

Curious as to the different makes, styles, etc... Wanting personal experiences with them and recommendations.... durability, performance, features, pluses & minuses.

Clam Corporation Ice Armour
Arctic Gear
IDI Gear Arctic Armor
Frabill
Strikemaster
HyCreek
ColdSnap

Features I'm interested in:
Short Inseam for us "Altitude Challenged-Ice Fisherman"
Insulated
Padded Knees & Rear End
Waterproof/Breathable
Lots & Lots & Lots of Pockets (Prefer velcro closure over zippers)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:14:07 PM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I have Clam's Blue Suit and if fairs well in Ohio Temps. Tried on the Grey and Black version and almost died of heat exhaution. If I was without shanty I would go with Grey and Black, but I wouldn't wear on a day like today (High 30's) cause I would sweat right through the thing. BPS in Rossford used to carry both the Grey and Blue suits but stopped carrying them this year. I got my blue suit last year there and usually only need the bibs in Ohio. will put the jacket on if outside of the shanty for long periods. Actually kept me warm when my car ran out of gas the other day.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i've given that some thought myself. i don't have a problem with cold so much, (3 sets of long johns, carharts), but pushin 60, and winters never getting below 0, like it did when i started, i'm looking for something that floats, and keeps you dry. don't want to find out how a cold swim affects the ticker.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I think there is only one suit made for ice fishing out there that actually floats and keeps you dry while in the water, it's Artic Armor from idigear.com, there are duck hunting jackets that float but I don't think they are as warm as Artic Armor is advertised to be. On the other side of floating suits is Mustang, who makes suits for Coast Guard and people who work crab boats like on Deadliest Catch, those suits are pretty extreme and expensive for what you looking for. The Clam Suit does not float, actually most ice suits that are advertised do not float, Artic Armor is the only suit that I have seen targeting ice fisherman that floats. The vidoes are pretty cool too if you go to their website. Another option is to get an Auto/Manual inflatable life vest, like the kind pro bass anglers where, that will inflate when you go in. Won't keep you warm or dry but when coupled with a Blue Calm Suit, is a good alternative to spending the big bucks on a floating suit. If you are buying now, there is a Clearance on the Green and Gold Artic Armor Plus, From $384.98 to $269.99, only thing is you may be confused for Dave as you would be competing with his all gold suit.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
It could be multi-purpose if you ever decided to go to Green Bay for a football game...  ;D

ice phisher

• View Profile
Congrat's on your choice from Mark......Should make ya feel quite a bit safer....and as we well know....very little gives 100% security.......Guess we'll look like the "BobbsieTwins".....Other than the safety factor......the suit is like wearing a shanty.....for the comfort factor.....Enjoy and great fishin...........
Ice Phisher,

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Gave the new suit it's first try-out this evening even though it was only for short time on Thursday 1/6/11. 

Man, this new tech stuff is something else.  I only had a pair of long-johns under the pants and was a little warm with them.  I cant believe the difference and to think I had been layering clothes for over 50 yrs. 

Guess the modern fabrics beat the old wool clothing out of the ball park.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile

Vexilar